If we lived in a world where ‘truth in advertising’ was a thing, here are a few points I would plaster all over the website and the box:
- Sonos will control and limit the content you can play through your speakers. Don’t expect that you can play something just because you own it or have paid for access to it.
- You need a PhD in network engineering to set up and maintain your Sonos system.
- Expect at least 3 catastrophic app updates during the life of your Sonos system. (Sonos love to blow away a heavily refined user interface with something that is ridiculously unhelpful, just when you got used to the old one.)
- Nothing will ever be backwards compatible. Sonos took their strategy of forced obsolescence straight from the Apple playbook. Expect to invest heavily and repeatedly.
- Don’t expect to get any real help from Sonos support. At the end of the day, if they can’t fix it for you, they will tell you it’s all to do with ‘your network’ and it’s your problem to fix it.