Increased Transparency Within Sonos Community

• 12 April 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
There needs to be greater transparency between Sonos and the community. I can't speak for everyone but below is a list of problems I have with my Sonos system. Feel free to add your own problems below. Let's see if as a community we can get something accomplished. Sonos you should be reading every single one of these comments. Upvote the problem you have. Let's see how long it takes for someone AT SONOS to notice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
No google home support. When is that happening?! Today tomorrow?! Let's stay away from flowery language like "in the near future" or "sometime next quarter" I want to connect my Sonos to my Google devices!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Alexa voice control is spotty. Works most of the time. I love it! It's nice. But not consistent and not in beta anymore? Please get Alexa to WORK. What we have now isn't good enough. Everyday Sonos chooses not to read these messages is a day that they could've been working on a solution with the communities' combined help and understanding.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi truhillinc, glad you're excited and want to know more!

We try to be as transparent about development as we can be, while still keeping some secrets. When it comes to development timelines, we hold back from sharing too many details until we don't have them set in stone. The Google Assistant integration you're asking about is a good example. There's a lot of moving parts there both internally here at Sonos and at Google, and we don't want to start making promises that we might not be able to keep. We've shared timelines for development in the past that kept getting pushed back (for one reason or another) and it's not good for anyone involved. Our current policy is not to share too many specifics unless they have a very little chance of changing.

We're working with Google to bring the Google Assistant to the Sonos One, and we're hard at work to make that happen this year. We haven't shared more than that because we're not far enough into the development cycle to say more with confidence. And when it comes to software development there's always a chance for a sudden show-stopping bug to pop up the week before launch. I've seen that happen a number of times with other things.

I know some people would rather know more and are ok with the timelines changing, but others would rather not know anything until it's ready. Hard to say which is the best way to go, but for now, we're keeping things pretty quiet on the rumor front aside from the general announcements about some of what's being worked on.

As to Alexa, the Sonos skill is still in beta, and we're constantly working to improve that with the team at Amazon. You'll keep on seeing that improve, even after it comes out of beta. New features will continue to be added, and enhancements to the existing experience will improve too.

And yes, we do read every comment posted on the board, and the community team shares that feedback with the right teams internally as well.

PS: That's a lot of tags 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi truhillinc, glad you're excited and want to know more!

We try to be as transparent about development as we can be, while still keeping some secrets. When it comes to development timelines, we hold back from sharing too many details until we don't have them set in stone. The Google Assistant integration you're asking about is a good example. There's a lot of moving parts there both internally here at Sonos and at Google, and we don't want to start making promises that we might not be able to keep. We've shared timelines for development in the past that kept getting pushed back (for one reason or another) and it's not good for anyone involved. Our current policy is not to share too many specifics unless they have a very little chance of changing.

We're working with Google to bring the Google Assistant to the Sonos One, and we're hard at work to make that happen this year. We haven't shared more than that because we're not far enough into the development cycle to say more with confidence. And when it comes to software development there's always a chance for a sudden show-stopping bug to pop up the week before launch. I've seen that happen a number of times with other things.

I know some people would rather know more and are ok with the timelines changing, but others would rather not know anything until it's ready. Hard to say which is the best way to go, but for now, we're keeping things pretty quiet on the rumor front aside from the general announcements about some of what's being worked on.

As to Alexa, the Sonos skill is still in beta, and we're constantly working to improve that with the team at Amazon. You'll keep on seeing that improve, even after it comes out of beta. New features will continue to be added, and enhancements to the existing experience will improve too.

And yes, we do read every comment posted on the board, and the community team shares that feedback with the right teams internally as well.

PS: That's a lot of tags :)

It is a lot of tags and I'm soooo glad you responded. I'm really impressed with you guys! Thanks! Hopefully we can get these problems solved. Maybe if the community votes on something that will be incentive for Sonos to act? I'm glad I was able to get a response. But why me? Just because I yelled the loudest or wrote the longest post? Used the most tags? I got your attention! I see posts go unanswered on here all the time. This is a small community that I just got involved today! I'm so excited! I love Sonos! I tell everyone I know I love it! Quote me! I'm quoting you! Use this for marketing! But know that not being transparent isn't helping you in the long run. Making promises that you WILL fulfill will make people happy. I was so mad when I tried to figure out what was in the new update but all it said when I updated was "bug-fixes" what bug fixes? Is this a "secret" too? Can this be part of the next update? Transparency? Or are will all going to be at the mercy of Sonos and their "secrets?" I keep getting the non transparent answers. I still feel like "while still keeping some secrets" "we hold back from sharing too many details until we don't have them set in stone" is an easy way of saying "we're not saying anything because we don't value the community enough to show them." I'm being blunt. I'm sorry. You're getting paid to do this yes? Then tell everyone at your company to raise an alarm because I don't speak for the community but I do speak for others. Do it better cause that's what I'd do at my company! Love you Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is a wishlist voting thread - but we as users can't maintain it in order to keep it real current. But its the thread for wishlist items at least.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/wishlist-for-sonos-controller-improvements-6730862
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're in lots of threads, answering questions, helping sort out technical issues, and passing along what we can. We're not everywhere all the time, but we're always around 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are always lurking around ... its kinda creepy.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Respecting the queue. But does the "queue" "respect" the community?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Respect the Queue - as in don't mess up my queue and delete it (which Sonos has made it very easy to do).