incessant UPDATES!!!

• 7 May 2020
  • 5 replies

WHY DOES SONOS NEED TO UPDATE SO OFTEN!! 

I feel like the rate of updates is ever increasing. I ALWASE HAVE ISSUES AFTER UPDATES. 

We are talking about a music player here … a stereo system, what do you need to constantly update for. 

And the worst part is that ITS PUSHED! EVERYTHING STOPS WORKING WHEN THERE IS AN UPDATE “AVAILABLE.” --- SONOS you play music, thats it, i dont do my banking on your platform, STOP THE UPDAATES.  

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You can postpone updates to times you are not using the system. Updates hpkeep your internet connected systems safe.

The amount and frequency of the updates are not a problem imho - your system seems to have problems updating. You could try and contact Sonos to try and find a solution for this.

WHY DOES SONOS NEED TO UPDATE SO OFTEN!! 

I feel like the rate of updates is ever increasing. I ALWASE HAVE ISSUES AFTER UPDATES. 

We are talking about a music player here … a stereo system, what do you need to constantly update for. 

And the worst part is that ITS PUSHED! EVERYTHING STOPS WORKING WHEN THERE IS AN UPDATE “AVAILABLE.” --- SONOS you play music, thats it, i dont do my banking on your platform, STOP THE UPDAATES.  

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Its a sonos problem, because sonos is forcing the update. I shouldn't need to reboot anything, because i shouldnt need to update. As far as I’m concerned Update = An issue. 

You can postpone updates to times you are not using the system. Updates hpkeep your internet connected systems safe.

The amount and frequency of the updates are not a problem imho - your system seems to have problems updating. You could try and contact Sonos to try and find a solution for this.

Rallye …. LOL -- not have updates as long as i dont use the system, but to use the system i need the update, WHY!? I should be given the option to keep my current version, UNTILL I HAVE ISSUES. THEN force me to update, dont just take away features because there is one “AVAILABLE.” 

im glad its not a problem IYHO .. IMHO, its a PITA. i am forced to contact sonos every time, and some poor person has to hear me go off on them. (plus waiting typically ½ hr on the line)  -why do we need constant updates? Soon my computer screen will need updates. My shoes, UPDATE. Spoon, UPDATE. LAMP, UPDATE. …. its a music player, its had the same functions since i started using SONOS 5 years ago. why are we on version 11.1? 

This is more of a rant piece, That i hope the Engineers at SONOS can see, and act on. Design perfect code, Test it excessively, change properly, and implement, and you dont need to revise and change and patch. 1 update a year for new “features” that is PERFECT the first time. 

My updates are perfect every time.  Yours could be too, but instead of taking advice that has worked for thousands of others, you rant on and on.  

Sorry I tried to help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Updates are optional, if you don’t update things will just keep working on the old software.

BUT if you do update something then you’ll have some aggravation until you update everything. Often a tablet or phone will update the controller software overnight kicking off the process, blocking the update there will keep it from happening again.

I did the static/reserved thing years back and my update issues went away so I don’t pay much attention other than to click OK when prompted by the updater.