I have RECOMMENDED Sonos countless time over the years. I now feel the need to WARN people about Sonos.

• 22 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2

Your shareholders should be lining up to challenge the board to fire your CEO & executives.  You just took a company with a stellar reputation and turned it on it’s head.  Your “End of Life” decision likely just went far beyond components --- all the way to your reputation and, potentially, your company.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 1

Your shareholders should be lining up to challenge the board to fire your CEO & executives.  You just took a company with a stellar reputation and turned it on it’s head.  Your “End of Life” decision likely just went far beyond components --- all the way to your reputation and, potentially, your company.  

I totally agree. This arbitrary and lame decision is commercial suicide. If you can decide my components are “legacy” you can create separate controller apps to support them. I'm embarrassed for my family and friends of whom I encouraged to buy sonos. Never again!

Userlevel 2

I think as long as when buying a new SONOS you are aware that you may only get 4-5 years of usage and are still happy to pay the premium then there’s no issue.

I think it’s far too expensive for limited support so i will be looking elsewhere in be future.

Userlevel 2

Agreed.  In order for that to work, though, Sonos is going to have to price their equipment as being disposable, which they do not.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing your feedback, everyone. We’re listening and answering what questions we can in the main thread. Let’s try to keep the discussion for this topic in one place.

Also, I want to reiterate that we’re committed to supporting players for 5 years after we stop selling them but we have a track record of supporting them for far longer than that. 

Userlevel 1

Cannot agree more. I will never ever buy a Sonos product in my life again. Just today a friend asked about Sonos. Told him not to buy it. For years I was bothered for updates all the time for hardly any improvement and now they stop supporting it 3 perfect working speakers to the trash. Shame on such a company. I will do my best to tell everybody across social media to boycott this company. 

I own over $1500 of Sonos products throughout my house.  Despite how inconvenient it will be for me to find a new platform, I am willing to spend 5-10 times that if have to so that I never buy another SONOS product again.  They miserably failed years ago with their shameful ignorance of SMB protocols.  Now they have completed their vomitous transformation with the full abandonment of their initial client base.  Bye Bye Sonos and good riddance!  I will go out of my way to have a conversation with every technofile and audiofile I know to be sure they never get another red cent.  You disgust me to the core, Sonos.

In case you missed it, you disgust me to the core, Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I support the sentiment here, and will no longer support Sonos and urge others to avoid at all costs. It’s absolutely disgusting. I’m actually going to go out of my way to let people know to avoid Sonos.

We live in a world where we need things to last longer, for as long as possible. We need to USE RESOURCES MORE SUSTAINABLY. People don’t want to spend big money on things that don’t last. 

What is 5 years? Why can’t we take care of our things and give them to our children one day? Because of companies like you. Absolutely unacceptable.

Userlevel 3
Badge

boycott this company. 

Wow. I just had my perfectly fine working speaker recycled by accident and there is nothing anyone can do. 

Class action anyone?

(Mod edit - Inappropriate reference)

After the at least three warnings that you needed to click through to recycle that device? I wish you the best of luck on finding a lawyer who would be amenable to filing a class action suit for you, but since Sonos doesn’t censor posts here, beyond those that don’t meet the community standards, please do keep us posted. I’d imagine there are indeed some who read these forums who might be willing to join your suit. 

Userlevel 1

Can only agree with all the folk on here. I own 6 various Sonos speakers so we all know the cost.

When I have to upgrade/replace because of this stupid decision, no way will I buy from the joke company that is Sonos.

Well done for completely ruining your reputation in one stupid e-mail to your oh so valued (yeah right) customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m under impression from I have seen nothing has been “End of Lifed”.   All I see is that there are some older devices that won’t receive future enhancements to the Sonos services.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life_(product)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

None are at end of useful life.  so what is end of life a stereo someone used for 20 years - the marketing and support were long gone for it but people continued to use. 

They will continue to perform as they have when you purchased them …. actually since purchased they have enhancements that weren’t even on the radar at the time (like Alexa and google abilities etc.).   I believe Sonos has stated they will continue to give updates for as long as possible to keep them behaving as they do now/