I have an Arc, two play ones (gen1), and a gen1 sub what should I upgrade

• 18 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Ok so the question is pretty simple, I’m debating upgrading my two play ones to play fives or adding a sub (gen3) to my pre-existing gen1 assuming that they work together and are compatible in the newer double sub setup. How much difference is one sub compared to two (I’ve head there is basically no difference between a gen 1 and 3 but rather a bigger difference between one or two units) and how big of a difference is upgrading my play ones to play fives, which should I do any input?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A bit loose with the Sonos speaker names in your post so I’m having to guess what you have.

Are you using the Play 1s as surrounds on your Arc? Do you play a lot of music through them in full, not ambient, mode? Them you might see some good from the change, otherwise no.

If you use the pair of Fives as stereo front speakers you might prefer them to the Arc for music if you can position them properly for a good stereo image.

For my listening a single Sub is plenty, if you need more volume, or need the second to even out your sound then it would be a good option.