Holiday Spam, Again.

• 21 April 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Another holiday season and another time the forum is saturated with Spam. It does show how much manual intervention must be done by the Sonos admin team nut also highlights the appalling Spam protection algorithms of this community.

It looks shoddy and does not inspire confidence in the security of your products if this community can so easily spammed,.

8 replies

Another holiday season and another time the forum is saturated with Spam. It does show how much manual intervention must be done by the Sonos admin team nut also highlights the appalling Spam protection algorithms of this community.

It looks shoddy and does not inspire confidence in the security of your products if this community can so easily spammed,.

Pointing a finger at Sonos does not make the spam go away either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As I recall the old Forum software blocked new users from posting urls until their fifth post or similar. Adding a "no urls for the first week of account creation" would work well against the current spammers, but the forum software (not written by Sonos) doesn't have anything like these options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

That's odd? It's their forum and they should deal with the issue. It's not as if it's a recent thing. Whom else should I "point a finger at"?

I'm big fan of their products but it does not excuse letting their brand being demeaned by spam. They are an IT company in which we all trust that they take privacy seriously. I personally find the fact that they are such an easy target for SPAM to be a concern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well, it's Sonos' job to deal with it. No-one else can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
All it needs is one admin checking over the weekend. The spammers choose the weekend as Sonos admins don't work then. Sadly the weekend is also the time new users show up on the forums, and this crap is likely to frighten them away forever.
Well, it's Sonos' job to deal with it. No-one else can.

Actually it's InSided here showing their incompetence over and over again.
Who appointed InSided and persisted with them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I contacted Sonos Support via Twitter, and they're alerting the community team.