Gone are the goold old days of Sonos

• 6 April 2020
  • 8 replies

My Sonos 3 is 7 years  old. I setup once and never had to worry about any issues for years; just enjoythe music.

Now with the forced update almost every month, they  break something. And now I  have to spend days to fxi it.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Set static/reserved IPs for your Sonos devices and the update problems will likely go away.

J James,

In addition to adding the Sonos IP address to the routers DHCP Reservation Table, enure the router is set to used a ‘fixed’/‘least used’/‘non-overlapping‘ 2.4ghz channel and if you do use other WiFi access points, then ‘mirror the router setup’ with the SSID’s/Channels/Credentials on those devices too. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Good advice to set a fixed ip address.  However,  in my case that’s not possible … I recently had to change routers  and the Belkin router (surprisingly) doesn’t have dhcp reservation.  The ip address has to be set on the connecting device - I think this isn’t possible with Sonos units.

Good advice to set a fixed ip address.  However,  in my case that’s not possible … I recently had to change routers  and the Belkin router (surprisingly) doesn’t have dhcp reservation.  The ip address has to be set on the connecting device - I think this isn’t possible with Sonos units.

Sonos doesn’t permit static IPs to be set directly in the device. It’s DHCP only.

Assuming your Belkin router has the option to disable its own DHCP server you could try re-purposing an old router -- one which does permit IP reservation -- as a standalone DHCP server. Care is needed when specifying IPs for the box itself, the DHCP pool and particularly the DNS and gateway addresses handed out by the server. The gateway address has to point to the main router, not the secondary box. Some routers may not allow this.

If you happen to have a venerable old Linksys WRT54G gathering dust at the back of a cupboard it makes a perfectly adequate DHCP server once it’s been loaded with replacement firmware such as Tomato.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The Belkin 600n replaces an ISP router which suffered numerous cut-outs, stammers, etc.  The Belkin only cost me 14 euro on ebay - has dual band - works extremely well and has restored sanity to video streaming!   Pity about the dhcp limitatiion. 

The Belkin only cost me 14 euro on ebay 

I guess you get what you pay for.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The Belkin only cost me 14 euro on ebay 

I guess you get what you pay for.

Not necessarily!   I’m sure we’ve all bought stuff with a high cognitive dissonance factor coming into play ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

A Raspberry Pi can serve as a full featured DHCP server, it won’t have the fancy web page for setting up your reserved addresses but it is a simple task with the built in editor. You can often snag a Zero W for under 10 bucks but I’d go with a 2, 3 or 4 B version with wired Ethernet. Fair number of older 2s and now some 3s being offered up as folks move to newer gear.