Going to +1 for Fives as Fronts in 5.1

• 20 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

As a music and Sonos lover, I like others (I think), would love to incorporate the Hifi stereo talents of the Fives, into our home theatre setup as front channels.

At the moment, we can add the Fives as rears to a Soundbar front.

Fives are generally considered overkill for Surround duties. However for pure music use, the Fives have benefits a soundbar (no matter how good) can't match. It also means the Fives are behind you when listening to music.

If we could place the Fives as front L/R channels, using a Soundbar as centre, this would provide an awesome sound, with some One SL as Surround and Sub, it would be very traditional 5.1 like. Yes Atmos would be lost, but it just doesn't work very well in every room anyway (open plan rooms etc).

I know Sonos might think this would mean users wouldn't buy both products, an Arc setup and separate Fives for Hifi. However, I do think many are looking for an all in one setup, and just don't have the deep pockets for both setups.

Many thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A center speaker is not a soundbar and vice versa. So “using a Soundbar as centre” might not be possible, or desirable, soundwise. And I do think Sonos is about less spakers, not more.

But I’ve been surprised by Sonos before….