geonfencing away option

• 14 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I would like a geofencing away option, so when I leave the house everything automatically turns off. Why hasn't this option been delivered yet like all other smart devices nowadays? It saves energy when I forget turning my music off. Otherwise option to integrate better with Google Home or have a functionality to turn off while from home like with Hue or Tado.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I’m pretty sure you could set up an IFTTT option to do so, if you wanted to. I would expect that Sonos hasn’t built it in to their software due to the fact that most ‘homes’ have more than a single individual in them, and would not expect the system to stop playing when one person leaves the home. 

Why hasn't this option been delivered yet like all other smart devices nowadays?

Perhaps because the incremental sales increase would be negligible? Or even if finite it would be vanishingly small compared to the potential revenue return from spending the R&D dollars elsewhere?

On a technical level, how would the system know you’d left the house anyway? Sonos controllers -- and hence phones -- are entirely optional. A playing system doesn’t maintain continuous contact with a controller.