Answered

future updates?

• 13 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Reluctantly I have to purchase the newest Play 5 pair. But I am looking possibly at alternatives because of my current speakers Are soon to be useless. I already notice a difference in them. 

Question is, what is the future of the new Play 5? Could it be rendered useless in the next few years forcing us to purchase the newest products?

I do have sound bar and sub. So jumping from Sonos is a big leap.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 June 2020, 22:38

Ive got a pair of first gen play 5s. I mostly use for streaming (deezer) and I’m noticing music cutting out regularly. Also, I used Sonos for alarm in the morning with music downloaded to Sonos library and all I get now is an annoying alarm. Functionality is definitely diminishing.

My son & his family have those same gen1 speakers, his music isn’t cutting out. If yours are doing that and your music-audio alarm isn’t working either, that sounds very much like you do not quite have something setup correctly. I would maybe take a closer look at your network, because replacing them with Play Five speakers might just lead to the exact same issues, if you have, as I suspect, underlying local network issues.

It’s not clear how your devices and local audio sources are each connected, but if using WiFi I would suggest trying a different ‘fixed’ (non-overlapping) Wifi channel and set the 2.4ghz channel width to 20MHz. If using SonosNet then ensure it’s channel is at least 5 channels away from the router channel and is a least-used channel for the locality.

This document is also worth a read…

WiFi Interference

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Thanks all! I guess it’s a coincident that this is happening now, just after the announcement of the phasing out of legacy speakers. I’ll look closer at what was suggested. 

Ive got a pair of first gen play 5s. I mostly use for streaming (deezer) and I’m noticing music cutting out regularly. Also, I used Sonos for alarm in the morning with music downloaded to Sonos library and all I get now is an annoying alarm. Functionality is definitely diminishing.

My son & his family have those same gen1 speakers, his music isn’t cutting out. If yours are doing that and your music-audio alarm isn’t working either, that sounds very much like you do not quite have something setup correctly. I would maybe take a closer look at your network, because replacing them with Play Five speakers might just lead to the exact same issues, if you have, as I suspect, underlying local network issues.

It’s not clear how your devices and local audio sources are each connected, but if using WiFi I would suggest trying a different ‘fixed’ (non-overlapping) Wifi channel and set the 2.4ghz channel width to 20MHz. If using SonosNet then ensure it’s channel is at least 5 channels away from the router channel and is a least-used channel for the locality.

This document is also worth a read…

WiFi Interference

And what do you mean, please, by 'music downloaded to the Sonos library '?

Sorry absolutely incorrect. That is as polite as I can be. These are local issues and you should submit a diagnostic report when the problems occur and post the number back here.

Dropouts are nearly always network issues. 

Userlevel 1

'My current t speakers are soon to be useless '. Which speakers and why?

What difference in them do you notice?