• 23 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Me: "I already have the Connect:Amp. I don't really need to upgrade."

Also me: "Something new from Sonos? TAKE MY MONEY."

-----

In all seriousness:

If you have the coin to upgrade and plan on sticking with Sonos long term, I can recommend getting the newer AMP.

My B&W CCM382 ceiling speakers never lived up to their potential with the older Connect:Amp. They sounded OK but unremarkable. Powered by the new AMP, they carry so much more punch to them. There's a richness that was simply was lacking in the previous setup.

Pluses: modern design, expansion capabilities (up to 4 speakers instead of 2)

Here's what I should have known but didn't: swapping out amp devices means reconnecting all the speakers and services that were tied to the old amp. That took longer than swapping out the hardware.

If you have neither and you're deciding between Connect:Amp or Amp, spent the extra $100. All day long.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Here's what I should have known but didn't: swapping out amp devices means reconnecting all the speakers and services that were tied to the old amp.
No it doesn't. You add the Amp to the existing system. It inherits all the settings. You then power off the Connect:Amp and decide how to dispose of it. Job done.

If you had to re-enter all the services etc. you must have set up the Amp as an entirely new system.
Unfortunately I had no local wall outlets to spare. Even if I did, I'm not sure if I would have thought about connecting the Amp to the existing system before swapping out the old and then moving over the speaker wires and cables.

Hopefully others will learn from this. 😃
You could actually have added the Amp by plugging it into the wall anywhere, without worrying about the speaker wires. It would have connected with the network -- and hence the Connect:Amp -- wirelessly and acquired all the system configuration. The Amp could then have been substituted for the Connect:Amp.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Swapping my connect:amp for the new amp is definitely on my list for later this year .... possibly when the black friday deals come around.