Question

Feature Request: Use Old/Discontinued Speakers as a Sub

• 21 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Hey Sonos.

I’ve been wanting to get the Sub for the longest time but I just can’t part with the money. That said, I do have a couple of Play:1’s that have been freed up having been superceded by headphones (modern teens prefer headphones for some reason!) and it got me thinking.

Given the Play:1’s have been replaced by the One SL thus discontinuing the Play:1’s, what I would love is to be able to group these unused speakers as some sort of “subwoofer” (clustered if it’s a pair or more).

Logically, syncing these up my Beam and surround Play:1’s would be a great way to add a little bit of dedicated low-end and reuse old/legacy speakers in a new way, even just one of them. One would think when you want to “Add Sub” in a surround sound set up, you could “Use an existing speaker” which turn the targets tweeters/treble off or “Add the Sonos Sub” if you want the full range.

Granted old speakers may be some technical limitations and there’s no way they could/would or replace a Sub in terms of raw power, quality and output so I can’t imagine it hurting true Sub sales that too much. It’d be better than nothing though, especially on older Play:1’s. It also saves them from the trash (or landfill) so it’d be good for the environment or avoid having them sit getting dusty in a cupboard or getting sold. 

Any chance Sonos?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Dean_H.

Thanks for reaching out and for the detailed post outlining your concern.

We highly appreciate your feedback and rest assured that we will log the request and pass it along to the team.

It’s an interesting notion, though we don't have any specific details that I can share around if this can come to Sonos.

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.