Feature request: Sonos as speaker for PC

So, I love my Sonos. Unfortunately, I hate my office setup where on my desk I have 4 speakers, two Sonos one’s which I use for most of my audio streaming and two computer speakers which I use for all my pc audio work. in a post covid world, I work from home most days. That means I’m in virtual meetings on/off through the day. I'd love it if I could ditch my computer speakers and have a virtual sound device on my pc that would stream to Sonos. Then wether I’m streaming CNN, in a Teams or Zoom meeting or just listening to my music my sonos system could be my sound system of choice. it would be wicked cool as an example if when I’m streaming to a group and all a teams call rings my PC if the PC input would take over and drop the group audio, allow me to take my teams call from PC and then when I disconnect, go right back to group audio. I can imagine a premium experience there that would fit in with premium sonos brand that sonos has.

11 replies

I have a setup with a pair of PLAY:1s, and use a headset for the inevitable meetings that I’m in, while the Sonos continues in the background. 

Beyond the current thread about how to use devices such as the Beam as computer speakers, Sonos would need to rewrite the underlying code base for their entire system in order to allow the use of non-home theater speakers to work as PC speakers. I just don’t see the justification in changing the fundamental basis of all synced speakers in order to get into a relatively small market such as PC speakers, when there is already more than enough competition. 

A few things to add.  First, although many of Sonos speakers have built in mics for voice control and possibly auto trueplay, they currently can’t be used for voice calls, or teams/zoom meetings.  So if you were to set something up, your computers mic would be used.

Second, Sonos currently does suppor a speaker playing as part of a group, then automatically breaking away from that group due to a line in or TV source...which would apply in your examples of listening to CNN or joining an online meeting.  However, there is no method for automatically rejoining the previous group after the line in/TV source audio stops.  That’s the case because it would be difficult to tell whether the source isn’t completed, it’s just a period of silence, and because Sonos doesn’t really track the history of speaker groupings in a way that would allow it to rejoin a previous group automatically like that.

If grouping really isn’t a priority, then you mind find it better just to have you speaker connected to line in while using the PC, and play music with the streaming apps on your PC.  That would provide better control over all.

I agree with Bruce that a headset, or pair of headphones, are a better choice for PC audio.  This is what I use for online meetings or if I just want to play a short bit of audio through the TV.  It also means that barking dogs or whatever other background noise doesn’t get picked up in the meetings.

As an alternative option:

Get a Port (or Connect/g2) and wire it to a decent pair of active speakers that accept multiple simultaneous inputs, such as those from Audioengine. Wire the PC to another input on the speakers (analog or USB).

I’ve had Audioengine A2s on my office desk for years and years, first with a ZP80 and now a Port. 

Both Sonos and PC audio play at the same time. No switching required. 

This is doable !

Virtual speakers are a thing.

Windows, OSX and Linux all support them as output choices. This could be virtualized as a private streaming service.

Yes, the Sonos would need an update to accept the input, but thats not a total rewrite and would increase the appeal of the system

Personally, I want to be able to Play YouTube on my TV, via my Amazon cube,  with the sound through my Sonos. I live in hope, but aint holding my breath

This is doable !

Virtual speakers are a thing.

Windows, OSX and Linux all support them as output choices. This could be virtualized as a private streaming service.

Yes, the Sonos would need an update to accept the input, but thats not a total rewrite and would increase the appeal of the system

Personally, I want to be able to Play YouTube on my TV, via my Amazon cube,  with the sound through my Sonos. I live in hope, but aint holding my breath

Take that breath and buy a Sonos soundbar.

Sonos make money by making and selling speakers. Your suggestion makes no commercial sense IMO

I'm sure their finance/sales dept agrees with you, but its very short sighted.

I spent a lot of money on an excellent system that should last me well. This lack of functionality isnt going to make me replace it. But when I do come to replacing it, I will be looking for something that can do this. Now bearing in mind that Sonos seemingly could, but wouldnt fix this, I am highly unlikely to buy more of their equipment to replace it, when this just needed a software fix in order to do what I want.

Their sales targets should be new converts, not existing users. And this should be an additional feature for the sales team.

But yeah, it wont happen...

I'm sure their finance/sales dept agrees with you, but its very short sighted.

I spent a lot of money on an excellent system that should last me well. This lack of functionality isnt going to make me replace it. But when I do come to replacing it, I will be looking for something that can do this. Now bearing in mind that Sonos seemingly could, but wouldnt fix this, I am highly unlikely to buy more of their equipment to replace it, when this just needed a software fix in order to do what I want.

Their sales targets should be new converts, not existing users. And this should be an additional feature for the sales team.

But yeah, it wont happen...

Sonos already has a solution for you, 3 as a matter of fact - Ray, Beam, Arc.   As to the sound coming from your TV to a normal Sonos speaker, since the TV would be the source of the audio, by what communications protocol would your TV be doing this? 

The source is the Amazon cube actually, which afaik is hybrid android/linux.

Like I said, niche case scenario.

Definitely doable on a desktop OS

The source is the Amazon cube actually, which afaik is hybrid android/linux.

Like I said, niche case scenario

What I meant is the TV would be the source of the sound, being that is where the picture is being displayed.  That’s neither here nor there, you would still need a communications protocol to get the sound from either source to the Sonos speakers.  The only one which exists now is Bluetooth, which is hardly robust enough for a full 5.1 signal (hence why this is not practical for Sonos, except for a Sonos soundbar).

Admittedly, I dont know how an hdmi cable works and what complications that brings. Like I keep saying, niche service.

But I do know that my Sonos can play from my Plex server. So for the original poster, could we not have a virtual speaker piping into a similar streaming service,  DLNA is it ?he original poster required 

Sonos has previously said that they don’t support DLNA, although some people have found that there’s a certain amount (not 100%) compatibility there. But that’s completely unintentional, and Sonos hasn’t found a corporate cost benefit for dedicating a resource to making it happen, it appears.