feature request: get app to default to closest speaker

• 11 June 2022
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi, could the Sonos App have an option to detect and default to the ‘nearest’ speaker, rather than having to select it manually?  This would make it quicker to play music in the room you’re in and avoid accidentally playing music in other rooms.

I understand this wouldn’t be possible for all speakers, but for those that have a Bluetooth capability perhaps the app could detect the strongest Bluetooth signal and default to that speaker.  

Presumably this would need speakers to advertise themselves via Bluetooth, with Bluetooth always being on instead of only when the button was pressed.  This wouldn’t suit everyone of course and some may wish to retain the existing ‘last used’ functionality, so I’d suggest this was an option rather than the default

Is there already some functionality that achieves this, or if not would this be possible/practical?

Regards

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Nice suggestion using Bluetooth BLE (low energy) presumably … so +1 from me.