Answered

Feature request: Disable bluetooth

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

The Sonos app / controler allows to easily disable the Wifi of the Sonos players.

It seems that not a lot of multiroom systems allow this and in my opinion this is one of the advantages of the Sonos systems. Indeed, for the ones like me who want to limit electromagnetic waves (precautionary principle) or just give priority to Ethernet connection, it would be an appreciated functionality.

Some of the new Sonos players like the Sonos One integrate bluetooth capabilities.

My wish is to have the possibility to disable the bluetooth.

I know that it is supposed to be used only initially (at the first installation of the product) but some have noticed that Bluetooth waves are still emitted by the device after the set up phase.

My goal is not to start a debate regarding the impact of electromagnetic waves but to ask for this ability (something common on a lot devices especially smartphones).

Thank you for reading this,

Cédric

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 May 2020, 15:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

BLE is a Bluetooth chipset, with an antenna. You are making a distinction without a difference. These chips are turned on all the time, and interfere with other devices in the 2.4GHz spectrum. I don’t want to get snooty, but please read up on Bluetooth before making such statements. If you wish, I can connect you with a friend of mine who used to work with the Bluetooth standards organization. As well, this is diverging from the main issue.

As I said, Sonos speakers, other than the Sonos Move, do not have Bluetooth antennas or chips in them. They only have BLE systems.

Userlevel 1
Badge

All Bluetooth devices use the 2.4GHz frequency range. I have a pile of new Sonos Amps, and they did not turn off Bluetooth after setup. This is true for many, if not all, other Sonos devices, as verified by many other complaints on other forum categories. Bluetooth 5.2 introduces variable transmission power control in order to alleviate the problems caused by Bluetooth devices, and thus play nicer with everything else on the same frequency range.

Do you mean BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)? The only Sonos device that has ‘normal’ Bluetooth is the Sonos Move. All other newer devices use BLE for setup only. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos should disable Bluetooth on current units after setup because they create interference in the same 2.4GHz spectrum that 802.11 WiFi uses. Bluetooth however does not follow the broadcasting protocol of 802.11, and therefore is particularly rude.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello jgatie,

Thank you for your comment.

I will not multiply wifi, bluetooth devices just because cell phone EM waves are more powerfull (moreover it also depends on several parameters : distance from the antenna, how / how long you use your mobile phone...). By thinking that way the result is ‘no limit'. I just try to leave with and also limit EM waves ; all is said in my previous messages.

Finally I don't think that my demand is something too complex to developp / carry out (common on many devices).

Have a good day,

Cédric

Until you are ready to give up your cell phone, your “precautions” are absurd.  It’s like worrying about the sun giving you a sunburn when you are walking thorough a raging fire.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Ratty,

This is only my opinion and what I am finally saying is that it will have an effect on my buying decision. As an electronic engineer (I have studied EM, Signal theory...) I know a few things regarding ‘waves’. Nevertheless I do not have certainties, we don’t know totaly/really the effects (This is my only certainty ;-)). I am not ready to live in a Faraday cage but as said previously I try to limit the exposure and apply the precautionary principle. For me, It just appears as a reasonable approach.

Regards,

Cédric

I hardly think that Sonos is likely to ‘seduce’ potential extra customers with such a zero-emissions feature when it bills itself as “the ultimate wireless home sound system”.

The amount of energy in WiFi is tiny. That from Bluetooth Low Energy is much lower still. I don’t disagree that it seems rather unnecessary to have the BLE remain active after setup, but in the grand scheme of things it really is insignificant. 

If you’re that concerned about electromagnetic radiation I suggest you never ever step outside, especially on a sunny day. Never fly (cosmic rays) and don’t ever use a mobile phone, which emits far more EM radiation when in use than WiFi/BLE will expose you to. In fact, given the external sources over which you have no control you may wish to consider sleeping in a Faraday cage. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Controlav,

A phone is not the only solution to control the Sonos players:

• A PC with an Ethernet connection
  • Voice control with devices also connected via Ethernet
  • Why not in a near future, an app on Amazon Echo Show (these devices can be connected via Ethernet) and devices of the same type (Google Nest Hub for example) ?

Moreover and in my opinion, a smartphone is not totaly the best device to control a Hifi system. I would rather like a dedicated device always on and with a direct access to the music app. The difference may seem small but when you use your system several times each day, it is really usefull in my opinion.

A first step is to have the possibility to limit electromagnetic waves when you don’t need them (for example my router has a switch on its front panel to switch off / on the Wifi). The second step is to be able to work without them (with totaly wired systems).

I think that it shouldn’t be to difficult to take this suggestion into account and that It could retain certain existing Sonos customer and contribute to seduce potential ones.

Have a good day,

Cédric

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You will always need WiFi to connect your phone (running the controller) to your network, so I don’t see the point of trying to disable Bluetooth.