Answered

Feature request: Create Permanent virtual rooms (to be used with spotify)

• 18 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge

I’d like to have an option to create permanent virtual rooms/groups (or virtual stereos, i.e. permanently linked stereos) so we can re-use them many times.

One feature that I use often is play a song from spotify, I need to play in one speaker and then to to the sonos app and group it to other speakers which is all but user friendly!

Also, the existing ‘group’ feature available in the mobile app is not available in the mac app, can you please add it…?

This has been previously requested many times by many users many years ago (first thread goes back 14 years and all of them have been closed for comments!) - is SONOS listening to customer feedback?? Where are the features development pipeline?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 August 2021, 14:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I’d like to have an option to create permanent virtual rooms/groups (or virtual stereos, i.e. permanently linked stereos) so we can re-use them many times.

One feature that I use often is play a song from spotify, I need to play in one speaker and then to to the sonos app and group it to other speakers which is all but user friendly!

Sonos created the the ability to create named groups a while back.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

These named groups can’t be accessed from Spotify app or other music player apps for casting though, as you pointed out.  I’m not sure if that’s going to be possible though, as I think the standard casting functionality actually looks at the network for devices that can be cast too.  It does not look at your Sonos account to see what rooms and named groups you’ve setup.  Such a feature likely would require a collaboration between Spotify (and other streaming apps) and Sonos.  Not at all saying that it wouldn’t make for a good feature, just not sure it’s as easy to do as you might think.

Also, the existing ‘group’ feature available in the mobile app is not available in the mac app, can you please add it…?

You can’t group speakers on the Mac?  

This has been previously requested many times by many users many years ago (first thread goes back 14 years and all of them have been closed for comments!) - is SONOS listening to customer feedback?? Where are the features development pipeline?

Many thanks

I don’t think people have been requesting this specific feature that long, since the ability to cast from Spotify or any streaming app hasn’t been around for anywhere near that long.  And Sonos closing threads after a certain period of inactivity, to keep the place organized rather than stifle conversation.  Last, as a policy, Sonos doesn’t disclose the products and features it’s working on, except for rare occasions when other companies are involved.

To be clear, I don’t work for Sonos, I’m just repeated what has been stated by Sonos several times before.