End of Software Update Program

• 23 January 2020
  • 50 replies

Userlevel 2

I have spent over $1500 for my Sonos system which is less than 3 years old and now I’m told that my Sonos Bridge and Play: 5 speaker needs to be replaced before May or they will lose their functionality. All that Sonos is offering is a 30% discount on a new speaker, but I paid over $600 for these two products. I think this is poor marketing and strategic planning on Sonos part. If I had known your products functionality would cease after 3 years, I would never have purchased your product. Am I expected to upgrade various products of my system every 3 years? Your products are not inexpensive, so the average user must save in order to purchase your product. You are about to lose a valuable customer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Personally I want to update my phone a laptop on a regular basis. But if I didn't, in both examples I could install a different OS to keep the device working. I'm not aware that this is an option for Sonos.

This is basically what Sonos is offering.  They are allowing you to install legacy software to keep your old units running as they are today.  Even better, they are pledging to keep the software supported by forking it from the modern software and continuing to offer updates for bug fixes and security issues.  This is a major capitulation for Sonos, for they now have to support two code bases instead of one.  

This isn't what Sonos is offering as the best before date is not determined up front at time of sale and new speakers don't get new features, they hold them hostage until you replace old hardware or you run two systems.

This is a new era with Sonos so I look to May for clarity. I'm looking forward to the new things they can do with the modern devices with new processors and 1gb ram. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sonos has done a really good job of supporting their old hardware. But personally I will never buy a new Sonos product without a listing of hardware specs and minimum support date. I can't decide if it is good value for money without this. 

I’m not sure hardware specs are generally going to be announced, and I don’t know that they are going to really help people get an idea of how future proof a device is going to be.  We know that all the modern devices have at least 64MB, which I really have no feel for.  It sound really low to me as I’m used to specs in GB.  However, this seems to be quite standard for smart speakers.

As far as minimum support date, we do have that information, as it’s been announced to be 5 years from when Sonos stops producing the product.  I will say though that up until this point, Sonos has not communicated that information well, rather poorly in fact.  I don’t see why there can’t be a page on this site that publishes the minimum support date for their past products. 

64 mb ram is not a modern smart speaker. Sonos is calling 64 mb "modern" but given Sonos' own lineup of 1gb devices, Homepod (1gb, 16gb rom), echo dot (8gb reportedly) and so on 64 mb isn't modern. 

Also, last date of sale is only a guidance, look at what they did with Connect. Have any other devices have an unidentified refresh?

Customers should have this information to decide if their purchase is worth it or not. 

This isn't what Sonos is offering as the best before date is not determined up front at time of sale and new speakers don't get new features, they hold them hostage until you replace old hardware or you run two systems.

This is a new era with Sonos so I look to May for clarity. I'm looking forward to the new things they can do with the modern devices with new processors and 1gb ram. 

Can we please stop with the loaded language like “hold them hostage”?  If you wish to use that type of hyperbole, go to the main thread, you will find plenty of it, along with holocaust references and terroristic threats.  I can’t be bothered with that kind of silly drama and won’t partake in that type of conversation.

Back on topic: Sonos is not going to put a “best before date at the time of sale” on their units.  They just aren’t.  They have no idea when the current resources are going to be exhausted, because they have no way of predicting what future features will be.  At best it would be a WAG, and it is not very smart to make WAG’s. 

They have pledged to support devices 5 years after sales cease because they have to legally.  Take that with the grain of salt it so obviously contains.  Then take a look at the memory/storage charts being posted, and make an informed decision yourself, rather than relying on some WAG that has to go through a PR and legal department filter.  

64 mb ram is not a modern smart speaker. Sonos is calling 64 mb "modern" but given Sonos' own lineup of 1gb devices, Homepod (1gb, 16gb rom), echo dot (8gb reportedly) and so on 64 mb isn't modern. 

Also, last date of sale is only a guidance, look at what they did with Connect. Have any other devices have an unidentified refresh?

Customers should have this information to decide if their purchase is worth it or not. 

See above about the last sale stuff.  Sonos isn’t going to do it.

As to having this information, you do have this information.  See: Updated memory graphic.  You don’t need Sonos to spell out for you. 

As to 64 MB not being a “modern” device?  It is what Sonos is calling a modern device, the other stuff is subjective.  Also, the 64 MB devices are not being sold any more (except the Sub, which has 64 MB storage/128 MB memory, and only has to play one channel, it has no real smarts or data needs). 

And by the way, do you realize that calling 64 MB “not a modern smart speaker” you are basically saying Sonos has made the legacy devices last far past their capability of being a modern smart speaker?  Did you really mean to praise Sonos’ effort like that? 

As to identifying a refresh, yes the Play:5 is designated by generations, as is the One and I guess we can assume, all others going forward.  As Sonos stated, they learned their lesson with the Connects.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Can we please stop with the loaded language like “hold them hostage”?  If you wish to use that type of hyperbole, go to the main thread, you will find plenty of it, along with holocaust references and terroristic threats.  I can’t be bothered with that kind of silly drama and won’t partake in that type of conversation.

Back on topic: Sonos is not going to put a “best before date at the time of sale” on their units.  They just aren’t.  They have no idea when the current resources are going to be exhausted, because they have no way of predicting what future features will be.  At best it would be a WAG, and it is not very smart to make WAG’s. 

They have pledged to support devices 5 years after sales cease because they have to legally.  Take that with the grain of salt it so obviously contains.  Then take a look at the memory/storage charts being posted, and make an informed decision yourself, rather than relying on some WAG that has to go through a PR and legal department filter.  

They are holding updates hostage. I won't be bullied to moderate my verbage based on your weak sensibilities. 

They have pledged 5 years, but they hid the 5 years from customers with the 2015 cut off. No one got 5  years notice on this.  I'm reading other models such as play1 has had a hardware change. Will they do the same? The support time is what is, I'm asking for transparency, give me the information so I can make educated purchases. I don't expect this tomorrow, I'm looking beyond May.

Sonos did a very good job supporting old hardware. I'm hopeful they continue this in the future and can move forward positively but this hinges on their actions in May so I'm reserving judgement,keeping  my wallet closed and looking at other options. 

No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head, or imprisoning them against their will.  You just can’t get new features if you run a legacy system, something which can be explained fully in technical terms without comparisons to hostage taking. As to my sensibilities, I just prefer to keep comparisons from escalating like they do in the main thread.  This subject blew through the Godwin’s Law barrier around noon on day one, so things escalate quickly.  I’d rather keep the language tame so the escalation has no chance to happen.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head, or imprisoning them against their will.  You just can’t get new features if you run a legacy system, something which can be explained fully in technical terms without comparisons to hostage taking. As to my sensibilities, I just prefer to keep comparisons from escalating like they do in the main thread.  This subject blew through the Godwin’s Law barrier around noon on day one, so things escalate quickly.  I’d rather keep the language tame so the escalation has no chance to happen.  

They are holding updates hostage until you update your hardware or split  your system. 

They are holding updates hostage until you update your hardware or split  your system. 

By that logic, I can say Porsche is holding that 911 Turbo in the showroom hostage because I refuse to pay full price or trade in my 2016 Jeep.  Damn you Porsche!

For how can they hold something hostage that you’ve never had?  They are merely setting conditions of how you can use your system in the future.  Keep what you have now and continue on your way, or upgrade/split for new functions.  Those are their conditions, and you need to choose to get something new or keep what you have. 

“Hostage” taking also suggests something criminal or nefarious.  Sonos cannot add new features to your first world luxury music system without splitting the system or taking out the least capable devices.  That isn’t criminal or malicious, those are the facts of software engineering and business.  Attributing it to something criminal is pure hyperbole.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

By that logic, I can say Porsche is holding that 911 Turbo in the showroom hostage because I refuse to pay full price or trade in my 2016 Jeep.  Damn you Porsche!

For how can they hold something hostage that you’ve never had?  They are merely setting conditions of how you can use your system in the future.  Keep what you have now and continue on your way, or upgrade/split for new functions.  Those are their conditions, and you need to choose to get something new or keep what you have. 

“Hostage” taking also suggests something criminal or nefarious.  Sonos cannot add new features to your first world luxury music system without splitting the system or taking out the least capable devices.  That isn’t criminal or malicious, those are the facts of software engineering and business.  Attributing it to something criminal is pure hyperbole.  

Sonos  is holding updates to modern devices hostage until you replace all legacy hardware or disintegrate your system.

Sonos  is holding updates to modern devices hostage until you replace all legacy hardware or disintegrate your system.

I disagree with your hyperbole.  You agreed to a software license, which is stated as subject to change.  Under that agreement, Sonos provides new features given certain conditions. Those conditions have changed.  Sonos stole nothing from you, nor have they broken a law.  They simply changed the conditions of their EULA, as is their right. 

Welcome to modern luxury electronics.

No disintegrations.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I disagree with your hyperbole.  You agreed to a software license, which is stated as subject to change.  Under that agreement, Sonos provides new features given certain conditions. Those conditions have changed.  Sonos stole nothing from you, nor have they broken a law.  They simply changed the conditions of their EULA, as is their right. 

Wow glad you finally agree that they are holding updates hostage, thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

No disintegrations.

Hostage 

No, not even close.  Hostage taking involves criminality and force.  Nobody forced you to agree to a legally binding EULA.  Nice try though.  You should go back to the main thread, you’ll feel right at home there.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

No, not even close.  Hostage taking involves criminality and force.  Nobody forced you to agree to a legally binding EULA.  Nice try though.  You should go back to the main thread, you’ll feel right at home there.  

I'm not going to be bullied by you to only post in one thread and not use the word hostage.

Please stop harassing me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

🤣🤣🤣

Wow, that escalated slowly. In my view Johnas it’s you doing the harassing when confronted with reason. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

🤣🤣🤣

Wow, that escalated slowly. In my view Johnas it’s you doing the harassing when confronted with reason. 

I don't agree but thanks for your opinion.

The only way SONOS will save face and the customer base is to trade up for FREE or retrofit existing products. I know I will not be subject to this in the future. I was planning to buy some of the new products but this stopped me dead in my tracks.  

Userlevel 1

Looks like it is time to abandon Sonos as a platform.

After spending  over £3000 on Sonos equipment 5 years ago, a Playbar, a Play Sub,  two Play 5s, and 5 Play 1s plus stands and brackets.  I don’t want to spend any more money on a company that treats its customers so badly.

Maybe naively I didn't consider a £3000 plus investment in hi-fi equipment was a short term  disposable purchase.

For a long time I have been an ardent promoter of the Sonos product but no more. A company that treats its customers this way does not deserve any customers.

Happily there is now  a much better choice  of multi room speaker system's that offer a  similar quality experience, with greater flexibility (bluetooth as well as wi-fi , better surround sound support for example).

Shame on you Sonos!! Shame on you!!

:(  :(

Userlevel 1

The issue is not that the current or 'legacy' speakers as Sonos call them won't benefit from new features it is they won't even be able to connect to the current services. Sonos may have back tracked slightly on how they will or will not support these products going forward,  but knowing they would like to stop support if they could get away with it doesn't make me feel like continue to purchase Sonos speakers. 

You may have a point that this is the way of modern subscription based systems and something g should be done to protect consumers I  the future.

@dboyd294, sorry to hear you only had that long out of those units. Both the Bridge and the Play:5 gen1 were designed over a decade ago and we stopped selling them over 5 years ago. Our official commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. 

All of the affected products were introduced over a decade ago, and simply don’t have the processing power to sustain continued software updates. We created the Trade Up program so that our long-term customers can take advantage of our newer product offerings, should they choose to do so. But you can also choose not to update and your system will continue functioning as it does today without any updates. Your Sonos system will work as it does currently, though over time some functionality of features and services will be impacted.

What you said is false. I just bought a brand new bridge (from online marketplace) but it is just impossible to update the firmware whatsoever to be usable to my sonos system. So this product is plain garbage, with no software update possible.

I don’t understand why it’s impossible but I know that it’s not rocket science and sonos chooses not to make it possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the Bridge you bought has never been used it may be that the software is so far behind Sonos needs to build a special update pack for it. I have seen this being mentioned for older Connects. If Sonos would do this for a Bridge - that is so old they actively warn you to replace it by a Boost or wire one of your speakers, I do not know. You could give them a call…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would call Sonos regarding the Bridge- may be new to you but its firmware if has been in a box for years may be to behind the current to update.  Calling sonos they can normally push a firmware update to devices with such old firmware.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

oops, wrong post, sorry...

@dboyd294, sorry to hear you only had that long out of those units. Both the Bridge and the Play:5 gen1 were designed over a decade ago and we stopped selling them over 5 years ago. Our official commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. 

All of the affected products were introduced over a decade ago, and simply don’t have the processing power to sustain continued software updates. We created the Trade Up program so that our long-term customers can take advantage of our newer product offerings, should they choose to do so. But you can also choose not to update and your system will continue functioning as it does today without any updates. Your Sonos system will work as it does currently, though over time some functionality of features and services will be impacted.

What you said is false. I just bought a brand new bridge (from online marketplace) but it is just impossible to update the firmware whatsoever to be usable to my sonos system. So this product is plain garbage, with no software update possible.

I don’t understand why it’s impossible but I know that it’s not rocket science and sonos chooses not to make it possible. 

No, what @Ryan S said was completely correct.  You have bought a piece of equipment that Sonos stopped manufacturing, retailing and supplying to authorised dealers five years ago.  If you bought it from an online marketplace then you bought an ancient piece of kit from an unauthorised source.  If you have a cause to complain it is with the company that sold you the Bridge.