Answered

DTS-X Support with S2 Platform

• 6 October 2020
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1

Sonos likes to hear what people want, so I’m asking the question (Yet again?). When will Sonos finally support DTS decoding for the soundbars? Seems to me that there appears to be a pretty reasonable user base (& lost sales) that is continually asking for this. Given the Arc has now been released, it would be an opportune time to support these codecs, even if they user has to pay a little more for the licensing cost involved (Via the Sonos App).

Pretty sure its not easy to transcode DTS:X tracks to Dolby? (DTS is a different story)

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 October 2020, 15:41

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hasn’t this dead horse been beaten enough already?

For reasons never clearly explained, Sonos decided way back in the Playbar days to not support DTS, and that decision isn’t likely to change.

Its interesting that newer TVs are starting to drop support for DTS pass-through for some reason.

Sonos likes to hear what people want, so I’m asking the question (Yet again?). When will Sonos finally support DTS decoding for the soundbars?

Sonos will likely note your request, but they have never said they would provide DTS and surely would not provide a date for that without a public annoucement first.  You aren’t going to get Sonos to give you that information by asking here….again, if it’s even in their plans.

Seems to me that there appears to be a pretty reasonable user base (& lost sales) that is continually asking for this. Given the Arc has now been released, it would be an opportune time to support these codecs, even if they user has to pay a little more for the licensing cost involved (Via the Sonos App).

Sonos surely has a better idea than we do about how many customers are lost from lack of DTS support.  What that is, it does seem as if the number of DTS users is going down rather than up, given the rise of streaming services.  As far as charging customers directly for the licensing cost, that creates other issues.  First, they would need to build an maintain that software sales system, which they don’t have.  And would the license be by devise or user?  If the user sells their speaker, does the license go with them?  Will people be insulted for the extra cost for DTS and still look to buy elsewhere?  If this is a viable model, why isn’t any other AV company doing it?

I’m not against DTS personally, don’t really care.  I just don’t think we are going to see it happen unless there is significantly more use of DTS.

I think its important that people voice their concerns with lack of DTS support to Sonos, even if its as you say, beating a dead horse. The majority of Blu-Ray releases are DTS-HD In some form, And while Atmos is the new upcomer on 4k discs, it seems silly to not support a lossless codec which is so widespread. Personally, if it was just a matter of paying for a licensing decode fee, id gladly do so.

While I enjoy my Sonos home theater setup immensely, its lack of DTS support is certainly the thing which has put a large target on its head for eventual replacement.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hasn’t this dead horse been beaten enough already?

For reasons never clearly explained, Sonos decided way back in the Playbar days to not support DTS, and that decision isn’t likely to change.

Its interesting that newer TVs are starting to drop support for DTS pass-through for some reason.

Samsung and LG 2020 TV offerings dont have DTS, which means they don’t have DTS license to pass DTS audio.

Netflix and Amazon Prime don’t stream any of their content using DTS audio.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I recently over the past couple months bought an LG CX 65” TV, Sonos Arc + Sub gen 3, and just this weekend the Panasonic UB820 blu ray player.  I didn’t realize at first that the reason some things sounded like crap was because they were DTS tracks on my blu rays being converted to stereo, and that’s when I first learned about the lack of this DTS support.  I’m not an av enthusiast and all this stuff I got because I had the money saved and heard such amazing things about them, and saw that they supported Atmos etc so figured it would just support everything, ya know since we’re living in 2020 and the crazy cost of them.  So I spent time today trying to find a way to at least make the tracks play via multi channel LPCM to no avail so sadly I’m boxing up the player tomorrow and refunding it to Amazon and guess I’ll go back to playing my movies on the Xbox which sucks for playing blu rays (no Dolby Vision and randomly freezes here and there).  It blows my freaking mind that they don’t already support DTS or can’t just quickly add it, I’m so fuming over this I can’t even properly express my anger over this.  It’s too late for me to send this all back and pick new things so guess I’ll just remember in X number of years when this Sonos stuff dies on me or I get something new it certainly won’t be Sonos!

Userlevel 7

@darkonex Unfortunately you just purchased the wrong combination of devices… specifically the LG TV with the Panasonic UB820. The UB820 CAN convert DTS audio to PCM 5.1 and send it to the Arc. The LG and UB820 just have a “handshake” issue where multichannel PCM from the UB820 doesn’t pass through the LG without the TV converting it back down to stereo PCM 2.0 again. So in this case, Sonos is not at fault. I believe your problem has more to do with your TV.

Have you considered getting a different brand UHD player? There is also a device called the HDFury Arcana that will solve your problem.

Multichannel PCM playing from the Arc sounds fantastic and just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio. You just have to get the right combination of devices to achieve it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar I did look at various UHD players before I chose this one, but from what I read this UB820 had superior upscaling and tone mapping among other things.  I was considering the Sony X700 or the X800M2 but I kept reading about issues with them freezing up etc.  I was looking at that HDFury but honestly I’d rather not spend another $200 and add more devices among the many new things I’ve already added recently hah.  I guess I could try a different UHD player, I’d definitely be up for it, but only if it would fix my issue with the audio.  It would have to be though probably between the Sony X700, X800m2, and the LG UBK90 just to keep them under $400.  Would any of those you think be a good fit for me and would solve my audio problem?  

Userlevel 7

@darkonex In my opinion, I still believe your best option would be the Arcana. The UB820 is a fantastic UHD player, and one of the best features of the player, in this particular situation, is that it has separate settings for Dolby audio and DTS audio whereas the other players don’t. With the other players, you would have to change the audio setting depending on whether the disc you are watching has Dolby audio or DTS audio. With the UB820, you never have to change the settings.

And the Arcana is a really small device at 4” x 2.25” x 1”. So it wouldn’t add much more to your many devices. And the Arcana has already been proven to work with LG TVs and the UB820.

@darkonex In my opinion, I still believe your best option would be the Arcana. The UB820 is a fantastic UHD player, and one of the best features of the player, in this particular situation, is that it has separate settings for Dolby audio and DTS audio whereas the other players don’t. With the other players, you would have to change the audio setting depending on whether the disc you are watching has Dolby audio or DTS audio. With the UB820, you never have to change the settings.

And the Arcana is a really small device at 4” x 2.25” x 1”. So it wouldn’t add much more to your many devices. And the Arcana has already been proven to work with LG TVs and the UB820.

I have an LG GX and a PS5 which I’ll be using as a 4K player as well. I haven’t bought the Sonos Arc yet but I really want to due to its simplicity of use. Until today though, I was unaware that my GX doesn’t have a DTS encoding feature. I’ve heard many people talk about the HDFury Arcana but it’s always in regards to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ / DTS.

My question is this however, is this device able to specifically convert DTS:X to Dolby Atmos? The reason I’m asking this is because I don’t want to spend thousands of hard-earned euros just for regular surround sound, I want that 3D Surround Sound effect.

Userlevel 7

The HDFury Arcana cannot convert DTS:X to Dolby Atmos. The Arcana allows external media devices, like your PS5, to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc. The Arcana is only as good as the equipment you have in your setup.

There aren’t any Sonos speakers that support DTS or DTS:X audio. But the Sonos Arc does support multichannel LPCM. Most Blu-ray and UHD players can convert DTS or DTS:X audio to multichannel PCM which sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio. I don’t know if the PS5 can convert DTS to PCM. I would imagine it can.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have an LG GX and a PS5 which I’ll be using as a 4K player as well. I haven’t bought the Sonos Arc yet but I really want to due to its simplicity of use. Until today though, I was unaware that my GX doesn’t have a DTS encoding feature. I’ve heard many people talk about the HDFury Arcana but it’s always in regards to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ / DTS.

My question is this however, is this device able to specifically convert DTS:X to Dolby Atmos? The reason I’m asking this is because I don’t want to spend thousands of hard-earned euros just for regular surround sound, I want that 3D Surround Sound effect.

The XBOX one X or Series Xbox’s upmixes everyting to dolby atmos even if the content is not.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The XBOX one X or Series Xbox’s upmixes everyting to dolby atmos even if the content is not.

Would be really interesting to know what this means exactly.

Like - for a DTS:X UHD soundtrack, when you select “Bitstream → Dolby Atmos”, I’m assuming the Xbox cannot maintain and utilize the additional DTS:X-specific metadata to literally convert DTS:X to Dolby Atmos.  Rather, I’m guessing it takes the raw multichannel 7.1 LPCM data from the DTS:X track and does its best to simulate an Atmos effect.  Which is okay…but it’s just a bummer that AFAIK there is literally no way to get all the data from a DTS:X track to the Sonos Arc.

I agree DTS support is needed for audiophiles not wanting full surround systems with multiple speakers and wires.

Anyone on the threads can argue that PCM audio is just as good as DTS. However, PCM 7.1 will never touch DTS-X.

PCM may not be compressed but is still lossy and for superior sound systems able to perform lossless audio files are needed. DTS-X is loseless, but can still operate in a lossy format that is found in it's programming. The special part of DTS-X is it can decode higher bitrate files than Atmos while utilizing spacial object audio.

It's an argument of saying PCM 7.1 is like the standard production line McLaren Senna while DTS-X is like the custom 65 Hoonicorn Mustang. No matter how much you argue that McLaren is getting left in the dust off the line.

*Yes there is a video of Ken Block smoking a McLaren Senna off the line.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The thing is, I (and I’m sure others as well) would be totally willing to pay an additional per-user license fee for DTS support, which could offset the development costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe a middle road, Sonos could allow users that wish to buy one to download a DTS decoder to their Sonos device?

A quick look showed downloadable decoders for other systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I would have though if you pay for DTS it would stay with that unit when you sell it on (just like any other HT kit).

I've come across this as well, I've just left ours in Stereo for the most part as at least sound stays on when I'm not there to sort it out!.

Samsung do Blu Ray  players that downmix to Dolby 5.1 from DTS but don't know if any deal with DTS-X?. Plus unfortunately they have discontinued their Blu Ray line.

Badge

As far as charging customers directly for the licensing cost, that creates other issues.  First, they would need to build an maintain that software sales system, which they don’t have.  And would the license be by devise or user?  If the user sells their speaker, does the license go with them?  Will people be insulted for the extra cost for DTS and still look to buy elsewhere?  If this is a viable model, why isn’t any other AV company doing it?.

Now that Sonos does indeed offer Subscription Services (Sonos Radio HD) it would be fairly reasonable to use that same platform to add DTS license by subscription. The terms of the license subscription structure can be similar to Sonos Radio HD.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Here's another bit of welcome news: Sonos says it will roll out support for DTS surround later this year for all soundbars that are on its S2 platform. That extends back to products like the Playbar and Playbase, so quite a few devices will be gaining the added functionality.21 hours ago

Sonos announces second-gen Beam soundbar with Dolby Atmos - The Verge

https://www.theverge.com › sonos-beam-2-atmos-soundb.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Here is another article:

The addition of an eARC HDMI socket is one of the major improvements of the Sonos Beam Gen 2, meaning that the soundbar will be able to accept higher-quality, higher-bitrate audio (such as Dolby AtmosDTS:X, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) directly from a TV.

https://www.whathifi.com/au/advice/sonos-beam-gen-2-everything-you-need-to-know-about-sonos-new-dolby-atmos-soundbar

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Here's another bit of welcome news: Sonos says it will roll out support for DTS surround later this year for all soundbars that are on its S2 platform. That extends back to products like the Playbar and Playbase, so quite a few devices will be gaining the added functionality.21 hours ago

“Sonos says it will roll out support for DTS surround later this year for all soundbars that are on its S2 platform. That extends back to products like the Playbar and Playbase, so quite a few devices will be gaining the added functionality. Sonos is also jumping on board with high-resolution audio and Dolby Atmos music streaming. The company says it’ll support both of those features from Amazon Music in the coming months; no word on Apple Music, though.”

I hope that is accurate.  I have been pretty content with LPCM from my blu-rays, but would much rather be able to fully enjoy DTS:X on the 50 or so discs I have that are encoded with it.  And I have hundreds of blu-rays encoded in DTS-HD 5.1 or 7.1.  If we do get native support for DTS, it would be interesting to see how the volume levels will compare to LPCM.

And more hi-res audio support would be great as well, although I suspect the benefits for me are probably going to be less noticeable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

“Sonos says it will roll out support for DTS surround later this year for all soundbars that are on its S2 platform. That extends back to products like the Playbar and Playbase, so quite a few devices will be gaining the added functionality. Sonos is also jumping on board with high-resolution audio and Dolby Atmos music streaming. The company says it’ll support both of those features from Amazon Music in the coming months; no word on Apple Music, though.”

I hope that is accurate.  I have been pretty content with LPCM from my blu-rays, but would much rather be able to fully enjoy DTS:X on the 50 or so discs I have that are encoded with it.  And I have hundreds of blu-rays encoded in DTS-HD 5.1 or 7.1.  If we do get native support for DTS, it would be interesting to see how the volume levels will compare to LPCM.

And more hi-res audio support would be great as well, although I suspect the benefits for me are probably going to be less noticeable.

You’ll be definately getting a boost in sound quality...

Userlevel 3
Badge

It appears that support is only for regular lossy DTS and not lossless DTS -HD and DTS-X.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

It appears that support is only for regular lossy DTS and not lossless DTS -HD and DTS-X.

Yikes.  I am wondering why even bother then?  We already have LPCM.  Why go to the trouble of licensing and modifying software for DTS but not supporting DTS-HD and DTS:X?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Better than nothing I guess. After all it took long just just to get normal DTS….

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Personally this is great news.  I have a load of Music BlueRay DVS that have a 5.1 mix of an album but every one is in DTS.  Will be nice on my Playbase to hear these at last.