Dissapointed by Sonos and would like to offer some suggestions

• 22 January 2020
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all, 

Like many of you, I am extremely dissapointed in the recent news from Sonos regarding classifying some equipment as Legacy. 

My first Sonos equipment was a Play:3 in 2012. Followed by a Play:5 in 2014, a Connect in 2016, and just 18 months, a Connect:Amp. 

Now, all except (ironically) my first piece of equipment, the Play:3, is considered legacy.

My concerns are that Sonos says they will support equipment for 5 years after they are discontinued, but this isn’t true - my Connect Amp which I purchased in 2018 (just 18 months ago) is also on the list for legacy equipment. Apparently, it’s an older “hardware version”, which had been manufactured prior to 2015. However, as a consumer, there is no way I could have known this. Sonos sells a Connect:Amp and to a consumer, they are all the same. 

Rather than just complain, I’d love to offer some ideas I hope are considered, although I would imagine this is more of a revenue driving push for Sonos than anything else and these might not line up with increasing revenue / profitability. 

1. Sell a new hardware device that adds to your system which has plenty of processing power to handle new software updates, etc. and “bridges” to your legacy equipment, allowing it to still function, while removing the processing workload from the speakers themselves and putting it into this new device. This is something I would gladly invest in every 3 - 5 years as new features are released.
  2. Offer an option to send in legacy equipment to have memory / processor upgrades performed at at a reasonable cost without needing to replace the entire unit. 
  3. Simply maintain functionality on legacy equipment as it is today, without promising any new features in the future. I’m OK with not getting upcoming features because the system can’t handle it; but I don’t want to lose features I bought it for now. My use case is primarily Google Play Music. If that goes, my sonos system is basically useless as when Sonos provided GPM, i stopped investing in my own personal music library. 

I am into my system for about $1500, and I know many others are magnitudes more than that. That isn’t something you expect to only last 5 - 8 years. 

Profanity removed by moderator.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.