Disappointed Legacy User

• 28 December 2021
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2

We bought a new Roam for our home that already has 7 other Sonos devices. We are a longterm user of Sonos equipment and have been very supportive over the years. We have found out the new Roam will not work with legacy equipment in the network. I was told it would need to create a new network, an S2 network for it would operate. 

Clearly a huge departure from the concept of buying devices which all will work in one network … if you want all the rooms to have the same music, not problem; well not anymore for legacy users. 

I was told I had two options, a new network, upgrade old equipment and of course return the new Roam. The new network doesn’t work well for us. An upgrade of the range of $2,000 Cdn seems unbelievable, we get nothing new, same music as we use to have. 

Only a couple years ago the CEO of Sonos stated that he had heard from the legacy users, we respected that we were there in the beginning years. He stated he would keep the “two operating systems” to accomodate the legacy users but would allow for new devices. 

They tell me I could upgrade and get a legacy discount of up to 30% depending on the components. Obviously they need more profits although it seems like Sonos is making the change for their benefit. They likely have direct costs of 20 - 30% of the retail price, yes some go to R&D, staffing, and profit margins for retailers, why would a legacy user pay thses things, the upgrade in the home will be enough pain. 

Anyway I will return the Roam and slowly try to sell of what we have. Not sure what is better as I have never looked, Sonos was for me … or it was.

Just wondering when they will make the next major upgrade and all of the current devises will not be supported, the day will likely come.

Just a very disappointed Joe.

16 replies

Sorry you misunderstood what the CEO said, and that you’re disappointed.

I don’t think there’s any way at this moment to determine when the next version of the software, presumably S3, will need to happen. I’d imagine it would be at some point when the current CPU and memory in the Sonos devices is no longer able to support the new features being added. I’d imagine that would be another 10 or 15 years from now, just as the original version ran that long before they needed to spilt the software and hardware to S1 and S2. 

You do have a third option, if you’re interested. You can continue to use S1 for the devices you have that require S1, and you can also use S2 for those devices you have that are capable of running it, along with your Roam. That would, however, leave you with two Sonos systems, and you wouldn’t be able to play the two in sync via grouping. But there’s very few devices, relatively speaking, that can’t be updated to the newer S2 system. Just a few of the oldest players in the Sonos retinue. Things like the PLAY:1, etc, are quite happy running S2. 

If you setup Roam on S2 and have an Airplay capable Sonos device on S1 - then it’s possible to stream audio to speakers from both systems using Airplay. 

I have both S1/S2 separate systems here and also have the Roam (x2) and it’s rare that I group the voice-controlled ‘portable’ speaker with anything other than another Roam, (or I sometimes stereo pair them) - so a split system has not impacted the use of the new Roam here. I also personally think the Roam, for its size and portability sounds great for both indoor and outdoor use. 

Anyway I will return the Roam and slowly try to sell of what we have.

Further to all that has been said, with reference to the quoted I can still understand the first part, but not the second. Your hardware will never stop working until it dies at end of service life, so why sell?

We bought a new Roam for our home that already has 7 other Sonos devices. We are a longterm user of Sonos equipment and have been very supportive over the years. We have found out the new Roam will not work with legacy equipment in the network. I was told it would need to create a new network, an S2 network for it would operate. 

Clearly a huge departure from the concept of buying devices which all will work in one network … if you want all the rooms to have the same music, not problem; well not anymore for legacy users. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a huge departure, but it is a departure for sure.  The concept is mostly the same in that the speakers work together in S1 or S2 systems, but not all speakers can work in both S1 and S2 systems.  Yes, that means that you cannot use Sonos latest speakers in in S1, but it you can add additional speakers that are S1 compatible to your system.

I was told I had two options, a new network, upgrade old equipment and of course return the new Roam. The new network doesn’t work well for us. An upgrade of the range of $2,000 Cdn seems unbelievable, we get nothing new, same music as we use to have. 

Only a couple years ago the CEO of Sonos stated that he had heard from the legacy users, we respected that we were there in the beginning years. He stated he would keep the “two operating systems” to accomodate the legacy users but would allow for new devices. 

I don’t think he said ‘new’ devices.  You can add additional S1 compatible devices to your system, but that does not mean you can add Sonos newest speakers, like the Roam, to S1.

They tell me I could upgrade and get a legacy discount of up to 30% depending on the components. Obviously they need more profits although it seems like Sonos is making the change for their benefit. They likely have direct costs of 20 - 30% of the retail price, yes some go to R&D, staffing, and profit margins for retailers, why would a legacy user pay thses things, the upgrade in the home will be enough pain. 

I would bet most legacy customers don’t have the same cost as you do, as many of their devices are S2 compatible already.  For me, there was only 3 devices I needed to replace, one that I wasn’t using already.  As well, the new features of the current Amp made it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

As far as Sonos costs to produce devices, I have no idea.  I would add materials, shipping, taxes/tariffs, advertising, environmental restrictions,  and on going software support to the list though.  Sure, these costs are not the customers concern, you only need to be worried about whether you get value for money, but if your going to guess at costs...

Anyway I will return the Roam and slowly try to sell of what we have. Not sure what is better as I have never looked, Sonos was for me … or it was.

I would recommend you figure out what your other options are, what the competition is doing, before you assume that some other companies is handling your concerns better.  Keep in mind that some of these companies have not been in business anywhere near as long as Sonos has, and could very well come to the same conclusion on the best way to deal with legacy hardware that can’t keep up with current functional requirements that customers are looking for.

Just wondering when they will make the next major upgrade and all of the current devises will not be supported, the day will likely come.

Just a very disappointed Joe.

I think you can look at a many  factors to help make that guess.  First, historically, it took Sonos 10-15 years to go from S1 to S2.  Second, it clearly wasn’t popular with many customers, so that don’t want to take this step more often then they need to.  Third, it seems as though Sonos is able to create products with more extra hardware capacity as reasonable costs than they could previously.  There is more room for growth now.  Fourth, there was a growing demand for hi res audio and other features that S1 could not support.  There isn’t any new tech on the horizon that S2 can’t support, that Sonos needs to implement in order to stay competitive in the market.

The point here is that we have invested heavily in Sonos devices that suit our purpose.  I have been forced to upgrade the S1App as functionality has been disabled.  Once completed, that functionality is still disabled and I am told my legacy hardware is not supported. It won’t even let me update MY music library. 

I don’t care - I didn’t want to upgrade the app, add new devices or change anything.  I just simply want to PLAY MY MUSIC THROUGH THE DEVICES I PAID FOR!

I did not sign up for this.  I don’t see how this company thinks that is fair or ethical?  I should point out that my VHS recorder still works…. and that is many years old.

There is absolutely zero reason why you can’t run the S1 app for your legacy devices, and continue to use them as before, while running the S2 app for your newer Sonos hardware, whatever that is. 

The point here is that we have invested heavily in Sonos devices that suit our purpose.  I have been forced to upgrade the S1App as functionality has been disabled.  Once completed, that functionality is still disabled and I am told my legacy hardware is not supported. It won’t even let me update MY music library. 

I don’t care - I didn’t want to upgrade the app, add new devices or change anything.  I just simply want to PLAY MY MUSIC THROUGH THE DEVICES I PAID FOR!

I did not sign up for this.  I don’t see how this company thinks that is fair or ethical?  I should point out that my VHS recorder still works…. and that is many years old.

What the H-E-Double Kohos has this got to do with the Roam? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Then ask for help like an adult and tell us what exactly the issue is.  Spamming other posts that have little to do with your problems is not going to do anything 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Then ask for help like an adult and tell us what exactly the issue is.  Spamming other posts that have little to do with your problems is not going to do anything 

You think being condescending to someone clearly with an issue that concerns them and what they clearly cannot find support is an ‘adult’ thing to do?  Grow up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Surely their frustration is obvious to you?  You slated them in the other thread, stating their opinions are rubbish, it’s clearly a problem with their phone.. offer advice did you? no, berate and tell them they’re a fool? yes.. can you see the problem with your approach now? - unlikely, you’re just here for the post counts.. says a lot about you that does.

Surely their frustration is obvious to you?  You slated them in the other thread, stating their opinions are rubbish, it’s clearly a problem with their phone.. offer advice did you? no, berate and tell them they’re a fool? yes.. can you see the problem with your approach now? - unlikely, you’re just here for the post counts.. says a lot about you that does.

Oh look, it’s a forum social justice warrior.  Standing up for people who never asked for it, and whose posts are far more obnoxious than the replies. 

Let me ask you, do you stand in your super hero pose before you post, or after?

Actually, I thought the post was rather unclear.  People don’t usually refer to their phones as ‘legacy hardware’ I got the impression that the user wanted people to think he/she might be referring to a Sonos product….at the very least didn’t want to take the time to be clear about it.  And they most certainly weren’t looking for advice on how to address the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Oh look, it’s a forum social justice warrior.  Standing up for people who never asked for it, and whose posts are far more obnoxious than the replies. 

Let me ask you, do you stand in your super hero pose before you post, or after?

I can actually see you laughing at how funny you think you are, I’m sure your mother loves you.

I can actually see you laughing at how funny you think you are, I’m sure your mother loves you.

What’s funnier, a finger wagging net nanny, or the poster who makes fun of them?  I know where my vote’s cast. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What’s funnier, a finger wagging net nanny, or the poster who makes fun of them?  I know where my vote’s cast. 

You really are missing the point of just how offensive you are, it amazes me that Sonos permit such an abusive product evangelist as you to run riot on their customer forum.  Sincerely, I pity you, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh look, it's Gladys Kravitz.