Question

Details of Legacy Device retirement and current New device functionality

• 1 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Yes, please support the Legacy Devices as long as you can, and thank you for changing direction on your initial announcement about discontinuation of legacy devices and soon to be incompatibility with newer generation devices.

Sonos really, really should support these devices for as long as it is technically possible.

I am hopeful that the below concerns of mine could be met or answered:

1. Reviewing the currently available Sonos product line, I cannot find a device with a line level output, a feature that is included with legacy Sonos products. Is this indeed the case? I have found that feature to be very useful, primarily to feed audio to home stereo and music recording studio systems. Please consider adding this feature to your product line in the future if it is not available in the newer generation devices.
  2. It would be great if a ZP100 could not be permanently recycled as that process stands. It would be cool if, in the instance that one ultimately wishes to decommission it, that the internet functions could simply be turned off, and the ZP100 could then be used as a typical power amp.
  3. I hope that Sonos can engineer their proposed concurrent legacy and newer generation device co-functionality so that it is seamless on controlling devices and does not require new physical configuration of the legacy devices.

3 replies

PORT replaces ZP80, ZP90, and CONNECT. PORT offers analog and coaxial digital Line-Out, but does not offer optical output.

Converting ZP100, ZP120, and CONNECT:AMP to a basic power amplifier would be an interesting option. How would you handle power ON/OFF?

@buzz via the mains power socket switch?

And over on my pragmatic thread you will see that for the connect amp to work as a power amp, no conversion is needed. 

PS; Correction, a power amp with volume controls.