CONNECT won't connect anymore??? - End of Software Support

• 25 January 2020
  • 8 replies

So about 3 years ago I bought a CONNECT for the sole purpose of CONNECTing my vinyl player to the rest of my large sonos system.  Mind you this was at the suggestion of Sonos themselves, this is the recommended way to CONNECT audio components to a Sonos system.   I paid full retail for this $400 item to CONNECT to my system.  

So answer this for me, if this will be considered a “legacy” device and will have to live on a separate network in order for the rest of my system to get updated… will it have any value to me at all?  I literally only use this to CONNECT audio components to the rest of my system.  

The problem goes deeper, say I swallow this mess and upgrade to the new Connect…. I currently have several Play:1’s and Play: 3;s which no doubt will be considered “legacy” in the coming year(s)…. so at that point I will have the separate problem, a shiny new CONNECT which in fact will not CONNECT to the rest of my system (if I want it to stay updated)….  This truly is the end of Sonos if they cannot figure out a way to allow “legacy” devices to play with new devices, while allowing “new” devices to stay current.

8 replies

So about 3 years ago I bought a CONNECT for the sole purpose of CONNECTing my vinyl player to the rest of my large sonos system.  Mind you this was at the suggestion of Sonos themselves, this is the recommended way to CONNECT audio components to a Sonos system.   I paid full retail for this $400 item to CONNECT to my system.  

So answer this for me, if this will be considered a “legacy” device and will have to live on a separate network in order for the rest of my system to get updated… will it have any value to me at all?  I literally only use this to CONNECT audio components to the rest of my system.  

The problem goes deeper, say I swallow this mess and upgrade to the new Connect…. I currently have several Play:1’s and Play: 3;s which no doubt will be considered “legacy” in the coming year(s)…. so at that point I will have the separate problem, a shiny new CONNECT which in fact will not CONNECT to the rest of my system (if I want it to stay updated)….  This truly is the end of Sonos if they cannot figure out a way to allow “legacy” devices to play with new devices, while allowing “new” devices to stay current.

It sounds like you're okay, as it’s the older Connect devices (around 2015) that the announcement applies to. If you check your online Sonos Profile it will show if your devices are affected.👍

It sounds like you're okay, as it’s the older Connect devices (around 2015) that the announcement applies to. If you check your online Sonos Profile it will show if your devices are affected.👍

Hmmm, you are correct!  Well I am glad that my Connect lives to see another day…. for now… most of what I said would still apply.  Thanks for making me feel a little better :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Bought my CONNECT in 2016 and told I need to get it replaced! WTF. 

Phononaut,

That’s okay and glad to hear you are good for the 'modern’ setup when that arrives in May. I’m going to do the same and have just traded-in some of my old devices to stay aboard too.

Bought my CONNECT in 2016 and told I need to get it replaced! WTF. 

You joined the forum here in 2014? .. are you sure you have the right date? .. The device has a date on it, what does that show?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you, Ken. You are right. I missed a couple of years: I did join in 2014 and expect that is when I started my system (with a Bridge and probably the Connect).  The CONNECT has a © symbol from 2013.

Still - too young to have to be replaced. My old Amp last 30 years…. 

Thank you, Ken. You are right. I missed a couple of years: I did join in 2014 and expect that is when I started my system (with a Bridge and probably the Connect).  The CONNECT has a ©️ symbol from 2013.

Still - too young to have to be replaced. My old Amp last 30 years…. 

I just sincerely hope it keeps going for you for a good many years still to come. All the best. 👍

Badge

Straight from SONOS, they tell us,

"Build out your system

Easily connect speakers over WiFi to create the sound system you want, and expand it any time." 

Well, that's what I relied on and it is partially true, but nope, I should have known that legacy issues would stop updates after several years on thousands of dollars

Straight from SONOS, they tell us,

"Build out your system

Easily connect speakers over WiFi to create the sound system you want, and expand it any time." 

Well, that's what I relied on and it is true, but nope, I should have known that legacy issues would stop updates after several years on thousands of dollars of SONOS products. 

of SONOS products.  I certainly did not see this coming.