Confusing info in FAQ

• 26 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This article:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3237?language=en_US

and this one:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

have a section showing the WM: numbers that is a bit confusing.

==============

“WM=0” means your system is in a wired setup
“WM=1” means your system is in a wireless setup
"WM=2" means the device is bonded as a surround speaker or Sub to a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam in wireless setup

==============

My partially wired setup shows WM:0 for all devices, wired, unwired, main or surround/sub.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @Stanley_4. Even though your system is partially wired, you will see WM=0. This is because you have one or more Sonos devices wired to Ethernet, which are in turn providing network information to the players that are not. Because of this, wireless players will still show that they are in WM=0. However, feel free to send a diagnostic report, and provide the confirmation number if you want me to double check your system’s health. 

I am not sure that @Stanley_4 is confused.  I think he is saying that the FAQs are confusing, and I would agree.  WM:0 and WM:1 are not system level variables, but tell you how each speaker connects.  OK so most systems will have all their speakers one or the other, but there is mixed mode too.

The other problem is the terminology, by which a ‘wired’ system really means ‘a system in which one or more Sonos devices is wired’, and a ‘wireless’ system really means ‘a system in which all Sonos devices connect using WiFi’.

At least it’s an improvement on ‘Boost mode’, which didn’t require a Boost.  But only just.  But these things are not easy to convey briefly and clearly to a non-technical audience, which is what the FAQs are trying to do.

It was originally explained to me like this…

WM = Wireless Mode

0 = off, so all the devices are using SonosNet

1 = on, so the devices are using the routers Wireless

Not sure if that helps? 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have never liked the term “Boost mode” …. always has confused way to many people into thinking that meant they needed to buy a Boost.   It should have always been “Basic Home Network” installation or “Advanced Sonos Network” installation.

Of course times have changed with Basic Home Networks now creating a mesh like Sonos (Sonosnet still reduces overall traffic on the home network so I keep it active).

I have never liked the term “Boost mode” …. always has confused way to many people into thinking that meant they needed to buy a Boost.   It should have always been “Basic Home Network” installation or “Advanced Sonos Network” installation.

“Basic Home Network” would lead me into thinking of Sonos running over Home WiFi. Why not just distinguish between SonosNet (Proprietary Mesh) and (Home) WiFi? it's as simple as that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Stanley_4. Even though your system is partially wired, you will see WM=0. This is because you have one or more Sonos devices wired to Ethernet, which are in turn providing network information to the players that are not. Because of this, wireless players will still show that they are in WM=0. However, feel free to send a diagnostic report, and provide the confirmation number if you want me to double check your system’s health. 

Yes I am seeing WM:0 for all my speakers, subs and surrounds but the FAQ:

"WM=2" means the device is bonded as a surround speaker or Sub to a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam in wireless setup.

Really seems to be telling me that I should be seeing WM:2 for my unwired surrounds. I have the surrounds set up wireless (not WiFi) and my Subs wired. Maybe it is meant to say something like:

"WM=2" means the Sonos system is in WiFi / Standard Mode and the device is bonded as a surround speaker or Sub to a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam.

Maybe the first entry could be improved too, lessening the confusion potential:

“WM=0” means your system is in a wired setup, all speakers, Subs and surrounds will show WM:0.