Answered

complaint about the End of Software Updates

• 22 January 2020
  • 62 replies

Userlevel 3

I am absolutely incensed by the shear insensitivity and blatant Marketing effort under the guise of ‘End of Software Updates’ This is totally unjustified - the amount of software involved is minute compared to something like MS Windows and they manage to support £100 products for 10 years and TVs last just as long. My Connect:Amp is probably only a few years old and cost £400 and now you want me to upgrade for an insulting and derisory 30% off a hugely inflated price of £600!!!!!!!!!!!

I will NOT Upgrade and will now be actively looking for alternative products especially as it now obvious you are going to do this to all my other products in the expectation of dubiously getting even more money from loyal Sonos owners.

Until this moment I held your Company and products in high regard, now I am appalled by your behaviour and will NEVER buy any more. You greedy b*******s have shot yourselves in the proverbial foot.

I dare you to publish this.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 January 2020, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

well said . I also will not be upgrading and NOT be buying any other Sonos products 

Userlevel 2

Sonos have made it clear that they will only support their products for 5 years after they stop selling them.  BIG MISTAKE.  This could be akin to the Ratner Jewelry debarkle and will be studied in business schools for many years to come as how destroy a loyal customer base with one simple email….

Userlevel 2

Totally unsustainable policy in every sense of the phrase. I was a Sonos evangelist but as of yesterday became the opposite. Feel betrayed

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also will be refraining from purchasing any new Sonos products.  How long before my (multiple) PLAY:1s and Sub are flagged as “legacy” products?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That's the point

I'm scared to purchase any more kit as it will eventually all become obsolete

I bet Sonos have lost millions of old and new customers for this crass decision

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Ryan S ”Play:1 was only just recently no longer sold.” - in light of what just happened, you are in effect saying that I can expect my Play 1 to be bricked in five years. Your products have gone from investment pieces to perishable goods. You cannot charge the same price for that. 

Userlevel 2

A good lesson on how to trash a brand in a week. Legally no company is formed to help its customers, all are formed for the benefit of its share owners, but do u really think your shareholders will thank you for trashing their brand?

Userlevel 2

Just want to add my voice to the righteous anger already on display. I invested a lot of money in my “legacy” system thinking it was a quality investment. I am keenly watching what happens next and waiting to see if the Sonos brand becomes toxic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

just received my " 30% off special deal " e-mail from Sonos ...
in the past year iv spent £2000 / £2500 grand on their expensive kit for all over my house
Why ? cause it worked straight out of the box with no complications for me or my kids ...
Not ever was i told at the point of sale that my kit would self break and be worthless as a working hi-fi
What this tells me is ... i need to quickly sell all my kit on the "bay" and try and recover some of my investment
Do not EVER buy any of their kit ever again as all the new kit will eventually go "bricked " once again
What a greedy stupid decision from Sonos ... just to make even more money in my opinion

PS

Just looked on the "bay" and all the second hand prices have collapsed !

update

What a massive storm on the internet ... so much anger ... could be the makings of a horror movie !
I wish i was a fly on the Sonos boardroom wall ... what a self inflicted total nightmare .
But seriously ...
It doesn't matter what Sonos does or says now ... the Sonos brand is now very toxic if not dead !
Even if they roll back everything to "as was" I for one will not be buying any more of their kit.
I have lost all trust in the product and the company. I realise if it goes bust nothing will work
but i consider my existing kit as worthless now anyway ... even if i bought new ... it will eventually go "Legacy"

SONOS = LEGACY = SCRAP . Lets call it what it really is !

This whole Sonos debacle has made me realise that any Internet connected hardware from any company is time limited.
Why spend top money on the best products { which Sonos was } when a cheaper alternative is available
When it goes "Legacy" i wont lose so much of my hard earned money if i buy cheaper ...

PS

I hope that if it does go bust all the hard working innocent staff get re-employed in any Sonos alternative company .

They are the ones who will really be paying the price for this crazy stupid mess ....

Yours

A Totally 100% angry pissed off disillusioned never ever again former Sonos advocate

Userlevel 3

just received my " 30% off special deal " e-mail from Sonos ...
in the past year iv spent £2000 / £2500 grand on their expensive kit for all over my house
Why ? cause it worked straight out of the box with no complications for me or my kids ...
Not ever was i told at the point of sale that my kit would self break and be worthless as a working hi-fi
What this tells me is ... i need to quickly sell all my kit on the "bay" and try and recover some of my investment
Do not EVER buy any of their kit ever again as all the new kit will eventually go "bricked " once again
What a greedy stupid decision from Sonos ... just to make even more money in my opinion

PS

Just looked on the "bay" and all the second hand prices have collapsed !

update

What a massive storm on the internet ... so much anger ... could be the makings of a horror movie !
I wish i was a fly on the Sonos boardroom wall ... what a self inflicted total nightmare .
But seriously ...
It doesn't matter what Sonos does or says now ... the Sonos brand is now very toxic if not dead !
Even if they roll back everything to "as was" I for one will not be buying any more of their kit.
I have lost all trust in the product and the company. I realise if it goes bust nothing will work
but i consider my existing kit as worthless now anyway ... even if i bought new ... it will eventually go "Legacy"

SONOS = LEGACY = SCRAP . Lets call it what it really is !

This whole Sonos debacle has made me realise that any Internet connected hardware from any company is time limited.
Why spend top money on the best products { which Sonos was } when a cheaper alternative is available
When it goes "Legacy" i wont lose so much of my hard earned money if i buy cheaper ...

PS

I hope that if it does go bust all the hard working innocent staff get re-employed in any Sonos alternative company .

They are the ones who will really be paying the price for this crazy stupid mess ....

Yours

A Totally 100% angry pissed off disillusioned never ever again former Sonos advocate

Hi Fobskid, I started this discussion without knowing how to use the site but it would seem there’s a ‘main’ discussion for this topic with 85000+ hits at: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969

It won’t make you feel any better but you’ll see you’re in good company! ...anyhow well said - I share your pain...

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos have made it clear that they will only support their products for 5 years after they stop selling them.  BIG MISTAKE.  This could be akin to the Ratner Jewelry debarkle and will be studied in business schools for many years to come as how destroy a loyal customer base with one simple email….

Hadn’t heard the Ratner story before, very interesting, and good food for thought for Sonos. Here is a summary: Ratner Story

Userlevel 2
Badge

The Brand is dead. Worst strategic mistake made by a growth tech. Every new purchase will now be BOSE. I can integrate through alexa. Just sadly am not able to pair brands. The CEO needs to do considerably more and i can only assume he and the board are just STUPID to not think this will affect loyalty and SALES. Anyone thinking of buying a new Sonos will be thinking ‘wait my product is redundant in 5 years and not future proof’

One can only hope that the cash hungry board, through their lack of care for loyal customers will be hit hard where it hurts in their dividends and share price. Because this is the only way these types will learn.

Sonos Board have you not heard of ‘competition, consulting customers, consumer choice’ ? wake up and smell the smart speaker market!

Userlevel 3
Badge

The problem is no one trusts Sonos PR spinning their own announcement about ditching support for their original and best customers.

Advancements in streaming technology as it pertains to Sonos technology are incremental, and certainly will not make a device obsolete in 5 to 10 years.  I can see right through what sonos is trying to do: sell more product to its loyal users.  Except what I read is that many, including myself, have lost confidence in Sonos.  In 2019 it was losing support to play the tens of thousands of songs I own on my apple phone.  Now in 2020 it’s anything older than 5 years.  Hear me now SONOS:  I currently own a soundbar, a Play1, 6 Connects, 2 Connect Amps, and I was planning a whole new wave of additional purchases.  But I’m not buying one more piece of Sonos equipment.  Ever.  How can I if I can’t trust you at all? 

Everyone who reads this go check out Bluesound.  New, young, fresh company… Looks great on paper. Does everything Sonos does and much more.  Plays the music I own, from my phone. Might be time to sell off my stuff and upgrade to a different company.

AP

Sonos and  Denon settled out of court and HEOS continues to be sold.

Besides Bluesound, Sonos is also suing Google and has publicly stated that they will sue Amazon after Google. 

The lawsuits aren't surprising since Google and Amazon are reportedly out selling Sonos big time. 

There are a lot of reasons to not buy Bluesound but being sued by Sonos wouldn't factor too high for me, ymmv. (But TBH I would never buy Bluesound)

I am a working class person like most of the Sonos community. It sounds like every 4 years or so they are going to hit us with this upgrade. There is no way I can afford this. Looks like back to a reciever.

Another bit of misinformation.  Sonos has to support every device for 5 years after it stops being manufactured.  That is the minimum.  The legacy devices all have 32 MB RAM, and they made that 32 MB RAM last for 15 years.  Currently sold devices have 16 (non-voice) to 32 (voice enabled) times that amount, so support beyond the mandatory 5 years is well accounted for in the capability of the devices.  Not saying they are completely future proof, but with 16 to 32 times the RAM/storage as the original devices, it stands to reason that more than 5 years of use was spec’d into the devices. 

i agree

why not design an adapter or “bridge” so that the old will interface with the new and continue as a whole system

id buy it ….i say again …. id buy it !!!!

ps

I don't give hoot about all the future advance updates ,

Don't want them at the expense of my working system

If you don't care about future updates, what's the problem?  Your system will be frozen at the current software and you can use it just like you do today.  You'll even get bug fixes and security patches.  You just won't get any new features.

Sonos obviously created a public relations nightmare, but am I alone in believing this is much this topic is has been completely over blown both on this forum and with the press? I read an article where the author in attacking Sonos decision wrote, “Can you image if Apple stopped supporting early IPhones?” Hello! Apple stops supporting nearly all of their products after 7 years. Technologies change so fast, I don’t see where Sonos or other manufacturers have a choice in the matter. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi

posted this reply on that forum 

its now being held back by the monitor for posting approval !!!!!

surprise surprise 

fobskid

fed on bullshi*e kept in the dark

Suggesting a lawsuit because someone believes they were conned is a little over the top!

The problem here is with Sonos’ messaging.  Instead of saying “your stuff is going obsolete, so buy our new”, which sounds threatening and “haha, we got ya”, Sonos should have said something about what they are going to be doing.  Examples: “Welcome to Sonos 2020”.  “These are the great new features”.  “This will work on our newer hardware, which includes….”  

That is what every other tech company does.

Instead, they talked of unknown future improvements, so there is no basis for understanding what is going on, and all that came out was negative.

I don’t doubt that this was done for good B-School reasons like avoiding the Osborne Effect, where announcements of future products tank current sales, but the answer for that is announcing close to market release and including a return window for recent purchases - which sounds generous and builds customer goodwill - rather than insulting your existing customers’ purchases.

Sonos successfully sued Denon for patent infringement. Currently suing Bluesound. Thst is how it does everything Sonos does!  Watch that space.

Also I think I read that Bluesound had dropped playing from an iPhone too. Maybe I am mistaken.

Edit no I wasn't mistaken

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360017557514-WARNING-no-longer-able-to-directly-play-from-iTunes-library

Advancements in streaming technology as it pertains to Sonos technology are incremental, and certainly will not make a device obsolete in 5 to 10 years.  I can see right through what sonos is trying to do: sell more product to its loyal users.  Except what I read is that many, including myself, have lost confidence in Sonos.  In 2019 it was losing support to play the tens of thousands of songs I own on my apple phone.  Now in 2020 it’s anything older than 5 years.  Hear me now SONOS:  I currently own a soundbar, a Play1, 6 Connects, 2 Connect Amps, and I was planning a whole new wave of additional purchases.  But I’m not buying one more piece of Sonos equipment.  Ever.  How can I if I can’t trust you at all? 

Everyone who reads this go check out Bluesound.  New, young, fresh company… Looks great on paper. Does everything Sonos does and much more.  Plays the music I own, from my phone. Might be time to sell off my stuff and upgrade to a different company.

AP

Funny, Bluesound can’t play from your phone either. And unlike Sonos they dropped it without even taking a year to try to fix it.  Like to reconsider your choice? 

I have never seen such a crock before in my entire life! It took me years and thousands of dollars to build up my system throughout my house and now I am being told I have to do it again? I can tell you this, the community built this brand and we can take it down as quick as we built it! I tell all my friends about how amazing this system is and now I feel like I am being scammed! I don’t have the money to upgrade another $3000 for my house. Sonos needs to find a way to make this right. I promise you I will blast this company every chance I get if they don’t fix this!

Upset is a understatement!!!!

I am a working class person like most of the Sonos community. It sounds like every 4 years or so they are going to hit us with this upgrade. There is no way I can afford this. Looks like back to a reciever.

Absoluetly stinks!

I have never seen such a crock before in my entire life! It took me years and thousands of dollars to build up my system throughout my house and now I am being told I have to do it again?

Come may, you’re existing system will continue to operate as it currently does minus regular updates.  If the system requires security updates or bug fixes, Sonos will provide that within the limits of the hardware.  So you do not have to replace your system.

You may already be aware of the above, but as there is a lot of misinformation and confusion going around, I’m repeating it here.

AP

Funny, Bluesound can’t play from your phone either. And unlike Sonos they dropped it without even taking a year to try to fix it.  Like to reconsider your choice? 

My comments about Bluesound were an afterthought.  Did you want to comment about the main point of this thread? Like how I’ve spent several thousands of dollars, and now Sonos doesn’t want to support the product despite there being very little innovation in the past 10 years?