Answered

Compatability in general

• 25 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I know that SONOS has back peddled on their post about legacy equipment going bye bye but…

We bought Sonos when it was new to the wifi system market so we have some of the original line up all the way up to much newer pieces.  We purposely went out and bought the original iPad as the Sonos app worked perfectly fine with it plus it enabled us to have a cheap controller that should last as long as the SONOS equipment but... It got phased out with their software updates which by the way... the original software was really good and we wanted to just keep it.  We had no controller until having to go out and buy a newer iPad.

So then, they phased out (bricked) our SONOS iPod dock, which is another device we used to love going to when we didn't (or couldn't) stream.

Our system that has cost us several thousand, has already lost value and will likely continue to do so...🤨

1 iPod Dock (bricked!)

1 Original Play 5

4 Connect:amps 50W

1 Connect (pre-amp)

2 Original Play 3's

2 Original Play 1's

1 Original Sub

1 Original Playbar

The reason I mention "Original" is cuz SONOS has already replaced some of them with 2.0, 3.0, etc.

If the Play 5, Connect and Connect Amps all have to stay "not updated" when newer equipment gets "updated" then how long will that actually work for?  About as long as the SONOS iPod Dock did?

icon

Best answer by controlav 27 February 2020, 15:17

Why are you still complaining about the Dock? Do you still really use an iOS device with the old 50-pin connector? If you do, when exactly did Apple give up supporting that device?

View original

4 replies

Potentially forever. As long as a streaming service doesn’t change their streaming codec, which I think has only happened once with all the streams that Sonos connects to, since the Sonos system was released. Barring, of course, hardware failures, which unfortunately can happen with all electronics. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Why are you still complaining about the Dock? Do you still really use an iOS device with the old 50-pin connector? If you do, when exactly did Apple give up supporting that device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

No mention of the CR-100?

Spouse just reminded me (again) that she misses her CR and is ticked at Sonos.

Badge +1

If sonos did not brick the dock then yes I would still use it.  It doesn't matter that it is a 50pin connector and that Apple doesn't support it.  It used to work and now it doesn't.  It is NOT broke but is no longer compatible.  Maybe sonos would like to buy it back from me??