Circular economy please, not disposable products

• 27 November 2021
  • 6 replies

I considered buying my two adult kids a new Sonos Roam each, but these speakers are designed to last only a few years, because the battery is not replaceable. Sonos, you need to be a responsible global citizen. We cannot keep polluting this planet the way we have been, particularly over the past 50 years - the period of turbo charged, rampant consumerism. 

You can change the design - allow simple battery replacement; and make the speaker, all your speakers, fixable. If the water resistance goes out the window, so be it.

Market your environmentally friendly credentials then. Put people and planet before profit, and you, and all of us, will profit in the long run.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Anton D,

I appreciate your feedback on Roam. We are working on a battery replacement program for Roam but don’t have anything to share at the moment. 

I will still pass your feedback on to our product team :slight_smile:

Been thinking of buying a Roam for a while. Went to the shop. Listened to the demo model. Loved it. Had one in my hand ready to buy - then thought about battery replacement. A quick search showed the battery is not replaceable and that Sonos have been working on a battery replacement program since at least April 2021. Nearly a year on - nothing. Covid vaccines were developed in less time. I kept my cash.

I agree completely with the sentiment but everyone - makers and users - is still paying only lip service to the thought even as of today. There may be a very small minority that isn't, so perhaps everyone isn't the word to use. 

The next problem - if it isn't one already - will be the management of used and discarded batteries...

Been thinking of buying a Roam for a while. Went to the shop. Listened to the demo model. Loved it. Had one in my hand ready to buy - then thought about battery replacement. A quick search showed the battery is not replaceable and that Sonos have been working on a battery replacement program since at least April 2021. Nearly a year on - nothing. Covid vaccines were developed in less time. I kept my cash.

Consider the possibility that Sonos has not released a battery replacement product for the Roam yet as there is no market for Roam replacement batteries yet.  The product was released last year, so no one (with rare exceptions) would need a replacement   Sonos did the same thing with the Move.  There was no replacement battery for the Move till over a year after the Move was released.

As far as a COVID vaccine goes, government regulations were removed or streamlined, and whole lot of cash and moan power was thrown at the issue in order to meet the more immediate need.  As well, the drug companies have zero liability for any negative effects caused by the vaccine.  Don’t know about you, but I would not want a replacement battery for the Roam to be given the same treatment.

I agree completely with the sentiment but everyone - makers and users - is still paying only lip service to the thought even as of today. There may be a very small minority that isn't, so perhaps everyone isn't the word to use. 

There are other issues in the world that many people feel are of much greater concern and deserving of their attention.

The next problem - if it isn't one already - will be the management of used and discarded batteries...

Well, there is also the mining and energy needed to make these batteries.  Not to mention the working conditions of miners and manufacturing of batteries, and all the political ramifications around that.

I considered buying my two adult kids a new Sonos Roam each, but these speakers are designed to last only a few years, because the battery is not replaceable. Sonos, you need to be a responsible global citizen. We cannot keep polluting this planet the way we have been, particularly over the past 50 years - the period of turbo charged, rampant consumerism. 

You can change the design - allow simple battery replacement; and make the speaker, all your speakers, fixable. If the water resistance goes out the window, so be it.

Market your environmentally friendly credentials then. Put people and planet before profit, and you, and all of us, will profit in the long run.

Was not aware of the battery not being replaceable… I was going to buy 2 Roams this week – I will hold off until it’s user-replaceable. Having to ship it off to the company for proprietary service is a non-starter for me, personally 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220127005378/en/Sonos-Recognized-as-One-of-the-Best-Places-to-Work-for-LGBTQ-Equality-by-the-Human-Rights-Campaign-Foundation

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/8/22822858/sonos-speakers-repair-recycle-energy-emissions