Question

Can you un-brick a Sonos device?

Badge +1

Several months ago I retired my original Sonos piece, a Connect, and replaced it with the new model. At this time Sonos was bricking old pieces when you replaced them. But as we all know, this caused a major blow-back from customers and supporters and they walked back that decision, announcing that the older devices would not be supported when Sonos 2.0 arrived. The old devices wolud continue to function without upgrades or support.

So I decided to haul out my old Connect and put it back to work in my shop. When I went through the setup the device told me it had been retired and couldn’t be added to my system. So, I’m confused. If the device has been retired can it be un-retired?

Thanks for your input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

No, apparently not. I’m in the same situation, and despite multiple request by various forum members, Sonos has indicated that the terns and conditions that were accepted at the time were not reversible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe Sonos could be persuaded to sweeten the rebate deal for folks that traded-up early and lost access to their old systems?

Maybe offer us a chance at a good price on a refurbished unit similar to what we traded?

Unlikely. They were pretty clear in the process about what the consequences were, it’s not like you could have done it unknowingly. Too many warning pop ups. Which I found a tad annoying, but understood the legal ramifications. 

I am completely new to Sonos and bought a Connect Gen 2 yesterday on Kijiji so that I could stream to my existing surround sound system as well as additional speakers.

I just found out it is in Recycle Mode. I am so disgusted with Sonos and this decision, that I am cancelling buying $1000+ of additional speakers.

It’s reduce, RE-USE, recycle; perfectly operational equipment should never be made intentionally obsolete. The original owner upgraded their device and got a discount and now I am out $250 CAD. To buy a new one, I would have to spend an additional $500.

I checked the website about Sonos 2.0 before I bought this to confirm it will still work with the update. So what’s so obsolete about it?

I am completely new to Sonos and bought a Connect Gen 2 yesterday on Kijiji so that I could stream to my existing surround sound system as well as additional speakers.

I just found out it is in Recycle Mode. I am so disgusted with Sonos and this decision, that I am cancelling buying $1000+ of additional speakers.

It’s reduce, RE-USE, recycle; perfectly operational equipment should never be made intentionally obsolete. The original owner upgraded their device and got a discount and now I am out $250 CAD. To buy a new one, I would have to spend an additional $500.

I checked the website about Sonos 2.0 before I bought this to confirm it will still work with the update. So what’s so obsolete about it?

1. Your anger should be directed to the person that sold you a non-working device, not Sonos.  I suggest you contact the site you used to facilitate the sale. 
  2. The “bricking” offer lasted a very short time (a little over a month).  Sonos admitted it was a poorly thought out policy, and now allows you to upgrade at a discount, while still keeping the upgraded device at full functionality.  
  3. Legacy devices are lacking in both RAM and storage, thus they cannot load the new features in the S2 software.  Legacy products (but for the few that were bricked) will still be able to run S1 software and will receive bug fixes and security updates. 

I am on the line with support and they confirmed this is a 2019 Gen 2 device. They are  completely compatible with Sonos 2.0 and the agent was surprised it was even possible to brick. Even though the decision was reversed, there are still a lot of devices out there that are bricked and from what I heard from the agent, Recycle Mode is still an option.

These are all Sonos decisions.

I am on the line with support and they confirmed this is a 2019 Gen 2 device. They are  completely compatible with Sonos 2.0 and the agent was surprised it was even possible to brick. Even though the decision was reversed, there are still a lot of devices out there that are bricked and from what I heard from the agent, Recycle Mode is still an option.

These are all Sonos decisions.

But it was the decision of the seller to sell you a non-working device.  Yes, Sonos had a bad policy.  It was corrected.  Unfortunately, there are some devices out there that are bricked, and there are some unscrupulous sellers taking advantage of unwitting buyers.  If you are looking to recoup your investment, I suggest starting with the unscrupulous seller, for that is the only legally binding contract you have at this point.  Anything else is liable to be a waste of your time, unless you just feel like venting and/or assessing blame.

What part of “it should not be possible to to brick a device from 2019” do you not understand? 

I’m looking for understanding not a corporate sympathetic apologist.

Also, Sonos created the possibility for this kind of unscrupulous activity. Even recycling the device is an environmental hazard because most items ARE NOT recycled even when sent to a recycler. 

The seller was not the original owner, I’m not sure he knew, but I am following up. Sonos sales is looking into whether it can be reversed, since it shouldn’t have been possible. They have also escalated to see if a replacement might be approved.

Maybe Sonos could be persuaded to sweeten the rebate deal for folks that traded-up early and lost access to their old systems?

Maybe offer us a chance at a good price on a refurbished unit similar to what we traded?

I don’t think there’s any way you can really make things completely equitable between those who traded in during recycle mode days and those that traded in after.   If you give to one group the other group will feel cheated and so on.  Everyone agreed to the deal they were offered, and it was never required.

What part of “it should not be possible to to brick a device from 2019” do you not understand? 

That doesn’t change the fact that you were sold a non-functioning device by someone other than Sonos.  It doesn’t really matter how it became non-functioning.  

The seller was not the original owner, I’m not sure he knew, but I am following up. Sonos sales is looking into whether it can be reversed, since it shouldn’t have been possible. They have also escalated to see if a replacement might be approved.

Even if the seller did not know the device wasn’t functioning, you still should be able to get a refund, since it was sold as a functioning device.

Good luck getting resolution.

I understand perfectly well.  I’ve stated it was a bad policy, since rescinded.  So how does that help you?

I’m looking for understanding not a corporate sympathetic apologist.

I understand you are disappointed.  So how does that help you?

Also, Sonos created the possibility for this kind of unscrupulous activity. Even recycling the device is an environmental hazard because most items ARE NOT recycled even when sent to a recycler. 

100% correct.  Hence why they cancelled the program.  It was stupid, both from a PR standpoint and a sustainability standpoint.  So, not to be redundant, how does that help you?

Everything I’ve heard states it cannot be reversed.  Good luck, I hope that it proves untrue. 

What is your point even? Don’t complain because it can’t be resolved?

Plus 2019 models were not suppose to be part of the policy AND the policy is not fully reversed. From what I understood, you can still choose to brick your device.

More people knowing the impact and putting pressure on the company is my objective.

There are still things they can do to remedy the situation (including a mail-in program to take bricked devices out of circulation and credit for non-original owners towards a new device), and if bricking is still an option, it should be completely removed.

No one told you not to complain, just that you should complain to the person who sold you an inoperative unit.

Plus 2019 models were not suppose to be part of the policy AND the policy is not fully reversed. From what I understood, you can still choose to brick your device.

More people knowing the impact and putting pressure on the company is my objective.

There are still things they can do to remedy the situation (including a mail-in program to take bricked devices out of circulation and credit for non-original owners towards a new device), and if bricking is still an option, it should be completely removed.

Sonos already has (had?) a mail in program where you could mail in your recycled unit to them for recylcing, instead of to your local facility.    They did not make it mandatory since mailing it was unnecessary waste.  They left it to the individual to be responsible and recycle as they are contractually obligated to do when they agreed to the trade in program.

And no they cannot give multiple credits  for the same device.  The are not responsible for the transaction you made with a party not related to Sonos.

@akardys, you blame Sonos that you fell for a scam. Is it confirmed that you’ve got a Connect manufactured in/after 2015? Does the serial number start with 00-0?

I was actually replying to Jgatie. 

Glad to hear they have or had a mail-in program; obviously people are not recycling their devices.

They could partner with major retailers and/or Terracycle which is a reputable recycler with locations across North America and verify the units have been returned. 

And how did the policy make sense for a 2019 device exactly? One that is still supported by upcoming Sonos 2.0? And if bricking is still an option, you don’t see a problem?

@Smilja Please read my other comments. It is a 2019 Gen 2 device verified by Sonos. I am not as concerned with the money as with bad policies that may have been reversed (but perhaps not completely) and still have residual damage. This will keep happening to other people until it is addressed. Plus, I may still get my money back or Sonos may have some other resolution, I will keep you posted!

Complaining is fine.  However, if you wish to be compensated, you need to complain to the correct people.

Not true.  Originally everything could be traded in and bricked.  Now nothing is bricked.  

Oh, so you are here to make enough noise that they’ll pay you to go away?  Good luck with that.

There's no way Sonos is going to do multiple credits per device.  That would create a black market that just keeps on selling bricked items to generate an unending series of credits. 

And as stated above, bricking is no longer an option.

I was actually replying to Jgatie. 

Glad to hear they have or had a mail-in program; obviously people are not recycling their devices.

They could partner with major retailers and/or Terracycle which is a reputable recycler with locations across North America and verify the units have been returned. 

Already partnered with Best Buy.

And how did the policy make sense for a 2019 device exactly? One that is still supported by upcoming Sonos 2.0? And if bricking is still an option, you don’t see a problem?

The upgrade program preceded the announcement of legacy vs. modern devices.  In that small window, everything was upgradable.  

@Smilja Please read my other comments. It is a 2019 Gen 2 device verified by Sonos. I am not as concerned with the money as with bad policies that may have been reversed (but perhaps not completely) and still have residual damage. This will keep happening to other people until it is addressed. Plus, I may still get my money back or Sonos may have some other resolution, I will keep you posted!

Do you expect to get your expenses refund by Sonos? What’s with the person who actually sold you the unit?

I am not considering the dismissed recycling mode bad policies but understandable policies, by the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@akardys Did you file a claim with the seller of your Connect?