Can we get a 'Sonos+' if we are leaving behind our older devices?

• 25 January 2020
  • 3 replies

The common reason we hear for the lack of new features such as centre speakers, true 5.1, DTS, Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth, even HDMI historically was the problem of integration with legacy devices. If the new codebase is starting from a different base hardware standpoint now, can we look forward to getting some of the things that are so often requested?

If this whole affair had been portrayed as a shift to a new, faster, improved hardware platform (a ‘Sonos+’ perhaps) with the possibility that some of our more ‘modern’ devices might have been able to be integrated to the new platform it may well have been viewed far more favourably than the current furore. I’m not happy to see the potential demise of my older devices but this would have been easier to swallow as part of a promise of a new feature rich system that still maintained some backward compatibility.

I’d like  ‘Sonos+’ to have;

• a new mesh wifi network using modern technology allowing the Sonos+ network to support excellent internet coverage for my whole house. This used to be part of the feature set (my Android devices could piggyback onto the old Sonos network. I could use the network ports to hang other devices off). The original system didn’t work well with the old internet technology and became superseded. Something like the Netgear Orbi system integrated into the ‘Sonos+’ would be ideal.
  • a new ‘Sonos+’ system that was more aware of 4K video as well as sound. If the new mesh networked devices could get 4K video streaming to devices around my house as well as audio this would be great. If it has to be an Amazon Fire integrated into the soundbar/base to achieve this then I could live with that.
  • Maybe we could even have a ‘Sonos on a stick’ HDMI device if we are going to get really radical!
  • ‘Sonos+’ headphones or a portable device with headphone socket please, with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X Headphone modes. If you can put some noise cancellation in this too I’d be even happier!
  • a Stereo Sonos+ Move2 please.
  • a Sonos+ Port2 with optical and coaxial digital in and out, and some controls on the box.
  • a more stable platform with less updates chasing more and more features. Some of the existing features have been great and have been lost in the bid to be all singing and dancing. eg. playing locally stored files, a PC based app or web interface, great networking, not hiding the alarm functions away in nested menus etc.. Just being able to turn on the system like an appliance and listen to music should be its core function and not have to wait for updates every time we switch on.

My Sonos system has consistently been the device that I have been happiest that I have spent money on amongst all my tech purchases. I, and every member of my family, use these products every day and they are part of our lives. I was never under the impression that these Linux computers would always be able to keep up forever with changes in IT and have been delighted at many of the add on services that are now seen as a key part of the Sonos experience (eg. Spotify).

Like many others I don’t look at these forums often and have come on the share some of the distress at seeing a much loved device threatened.

Even if the legacy devices survive under the plans outlined, the mishandling of this issue risks putting the company and it’s supporting infrastructure in jeopardy. As to how much functionality my Sonos will have if servers etc. go offline then I dread to think.

Please accept my gift of the ‘SONOS+’ name and all of the fantasy device ideas as a suggestion for a way forward. If your new direction means you can at least implement some of them then maybe some of this angst might have been worth it.

Regards,

Ian

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi there @Guinans,  thanks for posting with some really great ideas. While I can’t possibly comment on what may or may not be coming down the pike, we do pay attention to what our customers are looking for in their Sonos experience. As networking and home theater technology marches on, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of what you are suggesting come to pass. Believe it or not, we’ve been working to make our system backwards compatible with devices that are 10-15 years old at this point, we’ve really pushed these devices past what their memory, processing and network capabilities can handle. While I don’t believe that the ability to connect third party devices to Sonosnet will return anytime soon ( I always thought that was cool ) but as we further develop our product line and environment, who knows?

I think it’s safe to assume that we all want a stable with few updates and a Port with more audio port options. I will make sure that your feed back gets passed along to our development team and keep and eye on the future.    

Thanks Jean.Like I said it would have been so much easier to give up on our older devices if we knew we were getting something of an upgrade on the whole Sonos ecosystem in return.

I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to updates to the roadmap ahead.

Ian

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Guinans  I don’t disagree with you but we’ll have to see what the future holds.