Can't play music library

• 6 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

As a loyal Sonos customer (13 products), I am highly disappointed that you took away the ability for users to play their downloaded library. For years itunes and other music services only offered the ability to purchase downloaded music. After spending thousands of dollars on purchased music, they are now migrating consumers over to streaming services; more recently in a big way by persuading your company to no longer offer the ability to play downloaded music. Personally, I understand the business decision for them; however it is significantly impacting me and my ability to enjoy 1. my downloaded music and 2. the Sonos system I have built to play it on.

I have spent thousands ($7k+) on itunes and Sonos products which I can no longer enjoy the way I want to. Sonos has significantly impacted my music experience in a negative way.

I will continue to purchase music on itunes but will no longer purchase Sonos products because of the inability to play my music; which is the point of a music speaker.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Adding and updating your music library

Userlevel 1

They need to add the function back to app control on mobile devices. Nobody uses computers for selecting music etc … but thanks for the link!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Play:5 is Airplay 2 compatible to play to it from your phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

They need to add the function back to app control on mobile devices. Nobody uses computers for selecting music etc … but thanks for the link!

Hi there, just to clarify, once you set up a music share, be it on a computer or NAS drive, you can use any controller to select and play your collection, even a smartphone. You might find this to be more functional than streaming from your phone as you can play music when you phone is not on the network, and you can use any controller to select your music, not just the device on which it is stored.

The function cannot be added back.  It was removed because of changes made by Apple, there’s nothing Sonos can do about it.  

Also, as stated, sharing your library as in the above link does not mean you need to use the computer for selecting music etc.  You can keep using whatever device you use now.

​​​​ Sonos has significantly impacted my music experience in a negative way.

No that isn’t true.  You will have significantly impacted your music experience in a negative way, if you refuse to explore the other options for playing your music, some of which have advantages over playing from the device.

Couldn’t agree more. This was a major piece of functionality.