Answered

Bye Bye Sonos

• 23 January 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

As the owner of several Play 1 and One speakers I assume that they too will soon become unsupported by Sonos.

I for one will not be buying any more Sonos products. Bye Bye.

icon

Best answer by John B 23 January 2020, 18:39

Goodbye.  Shame about the wildly inaccurate assumption, though, as Sonos have committed to supporting products for at least five years after sales are discontinued, which has only just happened for the Play:1 and is probably years away on the Sonos One.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Goodbye.  Shame about the wildly inaccurate assumption, though, as Sonos have committed to supporting products for at least five years after sales are discontinued, which has only just happened for the Play:1 and is probably years away on the Sonos One.

Userlevel 1

So 5 years support is supposed to be reassuring!

As a lover of music first and foremost and dealer in vintage HiFi equipment this is ironically good news for me.

My 1970’s Pioneer Turntable, Leak Amplifier and Kef speakers will continue working and sound as good as they always have for the foreseeable future. No software, no support, just good sounding music.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

As Sonos is not providing information it isn't fair to call an assumption inaccurate because no one really knows. 

Fact is play 1 had a silent hardware refresh several years ago so they could pull what they did with the Connect and Connect amp a(which also had a silent refresh) and say 2016 and back are done/legacy.

If I knew support would end after 5 years and would render my whole system including my newest items obselete I would never have paid a penny to Sonos.

We are suppose to be grateful for 5 years!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Rather odd then that the Play:1 is still very much for sale:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAY-Smart-Wireless-Speaker-Black/dp/B00FMS1KO0/ref=asc_df_B00FMS1KO0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218757371956&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5967005884933973775&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006966&hvtargid=pla-387681491671&psc=1

https://homeavdirect.co.uk/sonos-play-1-wireless-portable-speaker-5923?gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB9G5FSQZjAEUV8l4275GgmuLLwn4RsjA_sTTp87AlfANx5z1fK9LzoaAmn5EALw_wcB

Plus hundreds of other retailers worldwide.

As Sonos is not providing information it isn't fair to call an assumption inaccurate because no one really knows. 

Fact is play 1 had a silent hardware refresh several years ago so they could pull what they did with the Connect and Connect amp a(which also had a silent refresh) and say 2016 and back are done/legacy.

OP stated that he thought Sonos would stop supporting the Sonos One and Play:1.  Whether we are talking about gen 1 or gen 2 for this products, fact is that Sonos is provided 5 years of support from the sale.  We also know that the reason for Sonos is dropping support for products right now because of the limited hardware, particularly memory.  And we know that the Sonos One and Play:1 have at least twice the memory of the product that are losing support.  It’s also safe to assume that Sonos does not want to drop support on products since it clearly doesn’t sit well with customers.

So given the above, does it make sense to assume that Sonos One and Play:1 support will be dropped soon?   Eh, doesn’t really matter. People are free to react and do whatever they think is best for whatever reason they think is valid.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Rather odd then that the Play:1 is still very much for sale:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAY-Smart-Wireless-Speaker-Black/dp/B00FMS1KO0/ref=asc_df_B00FMS1KO0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218757371956&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5967005884933973775&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006966&hvtargid=pla-387681491671&psc=1

https://homeavdirect.co.uk/sonos-play-1-wireless-portable-speaker-5923?gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB9G5FSQZjAEUV8l4275GgmuLLwn4RsjA_sTTp87AlfANx5z1fK9LzoaAmn5EALw_wcB

Plus hundreds of other retailers worldwide.

So is the Connect available for sale from Sonos

https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/connect.html

They refreshed the hardware on the p1 in 2017, boosted the ram. 

Pre 2017 P1 could be legacy next year.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

OP stated that he thought Sonos would stop supporting the Sonos One and Play:1.  Whether we are talking about gen 1 or gen 2 for this products, fact is that Sonos is provided 5 years of support from the sale.  We also know that the reason for Sonos is dropping support for products right now because of the limited hardware, particularly memory.  And we know that the Sonos One and Play:1 have at least twice the memory of the product that are losing support.  It’s also safe to assume that Sonos does not want to drop support on products since it clearly doesn’t sit well with customers.

So given the above, does it make sense to assume that Sonos One and Play:1 support will be dropped soon?   Eh, doesn’t really matter. People are free to react and do whatever they think is best for whatever reason they think is valid

Eh doesn't really matter if you want to misquote me. I referred to the P1 only.

Old P1s have 64mb Ram, new Gen2Ones have 1GB.

Old P1 could be done next year because Sonos gave themselves an out with a silent hardware refresh, just like they did with Connect and Connect amp and pre/post 2015.

OP said “As the owner of several Play 1 and One speakers”.   I didn’t quite you on anything.

Old P1 could be done next year because Sonos gave themselves an out with a silent hardware refresh, just like they did with Connect and Connect amp and pre/post 2015.

It’s 5 years of the support from the sale.  Meaning when an individual bought the product (new, not used obviously).  You’re correct that the ‘silent hardware’ aspect means that you can’t assume you have 5 years from when the product was last sold, unless you specifically know what hardware version you are on.  And as I stated, it is not the only information we have in which to make an educated assumption. 

If a person believes that Sonos is going to start dropping support on a yearly basis, as soon as the 5 year requirement is meet, despite the probability that’s it’s going to upset customers,  and they likely won’t have a hardware reason to do so, then sure, get rid of your Sonos now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

No Sonos have been saying 5 years from the 

OP said “As the owner of several Play 1 and One speakers”.   I didn’t quite you on anything.

It’s 5 years of the support from the sale.  Meaning when an individual bought the product (new, not used obviously).  You’re correct that the ‘silent hardware’ aspect means that you can’t assume you have 5 years from when the product was last sold, unless you specifically know what hardware version you are on.  And as I stated, it is not the only information we have in which to make an educated assumption. 

If a person believes that Sonos is going to start dropping support on a yearly basis, as soon as the 5 year requirement is meet, despite the probability that’s it’s going to upset customers,  and they likely won’t have a hardware reason to do so, then sure, get rid of your Sonos now.

I don't think the likelihood of upsetting customers is something Sonos takes seriously. 

No one is saying that Sonos is going to drop support on a yearly basis stop the hyperbole it's not helpful.

No Sonos have been saying 5 years from the 

???

I’ve seen it written many times, and could have gotten wrong.  If you have atleast 5 years from when the product is no longer sold/continued, then you have at least 5 years from when you bought it, unless the product has been sitting on a shelf.  It is going to get a little vague for that reason  You typically aren’t going to know when a product is going to be discontinued, so I see 5 years from when you bought it as the safer assumption.  And this is the minimum.  

I don't think the likelihood of upsetting customers is something Sonos takes seriously. 

Ok.

No one is saying that Sonos is going to drop support on a yearly basis stop the hyperbole it's not helpful.

You said “Old P1 could be done next year “  and repeated the contention a couple different times.   My statement was based on that and the likelihood then of Sonos dropping support one year after this event.  Sure, I said ‘yearly basis’ which is not exactly the same..

Parsing each others words is pretty pointless, IMO.   I think I know what you’re saying and I think you know what I’m saying in regards to determining what a person can reasonably expect in terms of how long the play:1 (and Sonos One for OP)   People can read this and figure out what they think makes sense for themselves from there.

If the part about the refresh in 2016 is correct, the rest of what you say is very likely based on actual Sonos actions; what they did once they will do again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos has stated the changes in innards without adding a Gen X label to a product has caused so much grief (prior to this situation) they won’t be doing that again.