Beam marketing email grammar/misspellings?

Userlevel 3

C’mon Sonos - you can do better than this:

“Smarter on the inside and more beautiful on the outisde for exceptional sound all around.” (one sentence to describe the beam and wow, it’s a doozy)

“Jonatan” (no way is that someone’s real name

I’m not a grammar police type person, but geez, I expect better from a company I’m so invested in.  Let me know if you need someone to proof your stuff - I’d be happy to help.  :)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

“Smarter on the inside and more beautiful on the outisde for exceptional sound all around.” (one sentence to describe the beam and wow, it’s a doozy)

I’m not a grammar police type person, but geez, I expect better from a company I’m so invested in.  Let me know if you need someone to proof your stuff - I’d be happy to help.  :)

But you failed to close the bracket in your own post. What a shame...

Anyone can make a mistake. My impression is that Sonos don't make many such mistakes. Although it's possible that I just didn't notice them.

It does create a poor impression though, which can colour people's view of a company and its products. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It does create a poor impression though, which can colour people's view of a company and its products. 

No mistakes here though: even “colour” is spelt correctly! 😜

Userlevel 3

Haha - there’s some irony in my own post considering I can’t close a parenthesis.  <sigh>

However, I am also not sending this out to 10’s of 1000s of customers either.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Haha - there’s some irony in my own post considering I can’t close a parenthesis.  <sigh>

However, I am also not sending this out to 10’s of 1000s of customers either.  😉

If we really want to be accurate, you did miss two full stops (or “periods” as some call them) and a capitalised letter in “One sentence to…”. The first full stop should be after “it’s a doozy” and before the bracket (or “brace” as some call it), and the other after the missing parenthesis in your original post! And the “beam” is a “Beam”.   But I don’t know how many customers are reading these forums, so does it matter here?

How did you manage an apostrophe in “10’s” but not “1000s”?  

And so far, 35 people have read your post, so you’re well on your way.

That’s a fair point.  An external communication like that should be carefully peer reviewed.  The mistakes that are hardest to spot are those you make yourself.  As it happens, I make my living by writing and reviewing complex technical documentation, and by running courses in how to write and structure such material.  

For what it’s worth, I encourage people to avoid using parenthesis of any form, as it can interrupt the flow of the main argument.  And you can forget the closing bracket…..

And it’s OK to start a sentence with ‘And’, before anyone picks me up on that one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You’re right, @John B: “That’s a fair point.  An external communication like that should be carefully peer reviewed.

And my comments above are intended as tongue-in-cheek criticism. I think the sentiment and observation  in @mansolil‘s original post are perfectly valid. 

How did you manage an apostrophe in “10’s” but not “1000s”?  

And so far, 35 people have read your post, so you’re well on your way.

Danny, you’re right that the inconsistency is the principal problem.  The safest option, and the easiest to read, is ‘tens of thousands’.

And my comments above are intended as tongue-in-cheek criticism. I think the sentiment and observation  in @mansolil‘s original post are perfectly valid. 

Absolutely.

Userlevel 3

All fair points and I actually appreciate the criticism, tongue-in-cheek or not.  Good stuff!  

“Go Sonos!” (but, do better! :slight_smile: )

For what it’s worth, I encourage people to avoid using parenthesis of any form, as it can interrupt the flow of the main argument.  And you can forget the closing bracket…..

And it’s OK to start a sentence with ‘And’, before anyone picks me up on that one.

My writing must annoy you to no end. For which I apologize (most profusely).  :)

My writing must annoy you to no end. For which I apologize (most profusely).  :)

I am often annoyed by my own posts when I go back and read them later.  It’s particularly annoying when someone who won’t be named has already found my mistake and posted a correction for clarity that was completely necessary.  Yet it doesn’t seem to be annoying enough for me to consider proofreading before posting.

For a bit of context, I feel that I should  add that there is a huge amount of technical information on the Sonos Support site and it is well organised, well written and polished, IMO. 

Haha. As if.

someone who won’t be named has already found my mistake and posted a correction for clarity that was completely necessary.  Yet it doesn’t seem to be annoying enough for me to consider proofreading before posting.

That name is Bruce :) 

I have the same issue, though. The first time I type an answer, it’s clear to me what I mean. When I go back, having received clarification, it’s abundantly evident to me that what I thought made perfect sense didn’t. I’m fortunate to be in the company of those who are not afraid of correcting/guiding/providing their own experience :)

Proofreading ones own contribution is always challenging, IMHO. Easy to miss the forest for the trees. You write, it makes perfect sense to you at the moment. In retrospect, for me at least, it’s easy to identify where I could have been more voluble, explain more, so that there’s not just an answer, but a reason, and learning so that the person can understand why/how the fix works, rather than just doing it because some random person on the internet says to do X. And I am indeed a random person on the internet.

Agree with the first, but see Google for Jonatans.

Userlevel 3

There were a total of roughly 2000ish Jonatans in the U.S. in the past ~120 years.  The vast majority were in Brazil, about 70,000+.  Sooo, I’m gonna go with spelling error (until Sonos proves me wrong!).  Thanks Google.  And thanks Kumar for making me go look random semi-facts up on the internet.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There were a total of roughly 2000ish Jonatans in the U.S. in the past ~120 years.  The vast majority were in Brazil, about 70,000+.  Sooo, I’m gonna go with spelling error (until Sonos proves me wrong!).  Thanks Google.  And thanks Kumar for making me go look random semi-facts up on the internet.  

Isn’t it wonderful where these forum posts sometimes take us! 

Come on, Sonos rep’s, we need to know: “Jonatan” or a spelling error? 

Since we are discussing semi- facts: how can you rule out migrants who changed their name in the US to include the h? Jonatan is used in Scandinavia as well, for example, and folks from there and other such places who came to the US may have fallen in line with general practice of how the name is spelt in the US.

By the way, don’t hold your breath for a Sonos response.

Badge +17

Hey @mansolil,

Thanks for flagging the mistakes you've spotted in the email for Beam (Gen 2). I’ve passed the comments made in this thread over to our marketing team.

I must admit, this thread made me chuckle :smile:

Oh, yes, the most important issue.

I can indeed confirm that Jonatan is real, and not a typo! :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hey @mansolil,

Thanks for flagging the mistakes you've spotted in the email for Beam (Gen 2). I’ve passed the comments made in this thread over to our marketing team.

I must admit, this thread made me chuckle :smile:

I can indeed confirm that Jonatan is real, and not a typo! :laughing:

Please say “hi” to him from me/us all. I’m sure he’ll be pleased to know he’s not a typo! Have you told him, or did he already know? 😜 

Badge +17

Please say “hi” to him from me/us all. I’m sure he’ll be pleased to know he’s not a typo! Have you told him, or did he already know? 😜 

Haha, I’m sure he already knows, but if he ever stumble across this thread by Googling his own name, he’ll get the confirmation right here :grinning:

The above is not a complete sentence.  Where’s the verb?  :rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The above is not a complete sentence.  Where’s the verb?  :rolling_eyes:

Maybe he meant to use a colon?