Answered

Another very disappointed customer

• 23 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Count me in as another extremely dissatisfied customer who is very disappointed with the announcement to drop support for some “older” products. Like many of your other customers, I have invested heavily in your system with 6 Connect:Amps, 1 Amp, 2 Connects, and 1 Play 1.  All together, I have spent nearly $5000 on your equipment, and I have owned most of these less than 5 years. 

My primary use is to stream my own music from my own file system. While I do occasionally use my system to stream music services, by far my primary case is for local file streaming. Therefore, there is NO JUSTIFICATION to force me to upgrade my equipment before it physically fails, when I am doing only what Sonos was originally intended to do.

Sonos charges an extreme premium for what it offers. Customers have been willing to pay that cost because of the quality of the experience as compared to competing offers. I understand that 3rd party APIs might change or drop support for their legacy services, but the foundation of the Sonos universe-- the ability to stream local content-- should not change so drastically that the software can no longer run on the devices. 

Please consider an alternative approach to support users like me. I am happy to have my software version capped on my devices and even lose support for existing 3rd party services as long as the system continues to do the simple task of indexing and streaming my personal music library. With that support, I can continue to invest in future Sonos products as my system begins to physically fail. Otherwise, I will not invest more money into a system that promises only 5 years of viability before the entire investment becomes obsolete.

Eric Lacey

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 January 2020, 19:33

Please consider an alternative approach to support users like me. I am happy to have my software version capped on my devices and even lose support for existing 3rd party services as long as the system continues to do the simple task of indexing and streaming my personal music library. With that support, I can continue to invest in future Sonos products as my system begins to physically fail. Otherwise, I will not invest more money into a system that promises only 5 years of viability before the entire investment becomes obsolete.

Hi Eric, this is basically what’s happening. 

If you decide to keep your modern and legacy devices on the same system, it’ll all become one legacy system. Your Sonos system will no longer receive software updates, and your experience will initially remain the same as it is today (or in May). However, the functionality of some features and services will be impacted as technology, particularly music service and voice partners, evolves over time. Because, since you mostly use local library, you probably won’t notice anything at all has happened, aside from not needing to update anything anymore.

View original

5 replies

After many years and over $3000 investment, I am very disappointed.  We built a retirement home and to enjoy music I pre-wired the house with Cat5 after discovering Sonos. We owned multiple speakers from Klipsch (including efficient 30 year old LaScalas). I built in ceiling speakers, etc. so we purchased 4 connect amps and 1 connect for the home theater.  If any of these fail due to software, I will never buy another Sonos product.  We don’t care about voice activation but only access to music (our own 1000’s of music tracks and 3rd party streams (like radio, tv, or a few subscriptions).  Speakers are not throw away electronics until they fail after 30-40 years. Please consider upgradable memory/cpu cards and possibly open source software.

Your competitor Apple will learn the hard way that the HomePod product will fail because they are limiting music source to Apple.  Sonos beats them hands down on this front.  Sonos is a manufacturer of hardware with a software component.  Please be careful with content distribution negotiations.  Apple isn’t worth the effort unless you plan to sell the company to them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

However the biggest kicker is, if you wish to keep your system as a "whole home" single system - as it was sold, or also now known as legacy - you won't be able to buy another Sonos product ever again.

At some point, factory bought Sonos units will have software on older than our "frozen" systems and any new hardware just won't work with the legacy stuff

That's what these announcements are currently saying. 

Or in other words, if you have old kit that works and you don't want to upgrade it you're no longer welcome as a customer!

What utter b#ll#cks!

Hey Paul, the purpose of this is to keep you as a customer they just want you to spend more money on new hardware 😟 or they keep updates to your newer units hostage if you keep your older stuff. But really we have to wait until May to find out all the details your are talking about. 

However the biggest kicker is, if you wish to keep your system as a "whole home" single system - as it was sold, or also now known as legacy - you won't be able to buy another Sonos product ever again.

Not so at all.  As stated by Ryan S in the main thread, you will be able to add new products to the legacy system.  Now whether that means you can add products that are new in the future remains to be seen (I personally doubt it).  However you will be able to add all products that are in the Sonos lineup as of May 20.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

At some point, factory bought Sonos units will have software on older than our "frozen" systems and any new hardware just won't work with the legacy stuff

That's what these announcements are currently saying. 

Or in other words, if you have old kit that works and you don't want to upgrade it you're no longer welcome as a customer!

What utter b#ll#cks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Eric, this is basically what’s happening. 

If you decide to keep your modern and legacy devices on the same system, it’ll all become one legacy system. Your Sonos system will no longer receive software updates, and your experience will initially remain the same as it is today (or in May). However, the functionality of some features and services will be impacted as technology, particularly music service and voice partners, evolves over time. Because, since you mostly use local library, you probably won’t notice anything at all has happened, aside from not needing to update anything anymore.