Amazon HD Music

• 17 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my Amazon music account to HD paid subscription. 

Reading other threads it appears that Sonos does indeed work with Amazon HD Music.

My question is : Does the Sonos controller inform us when a HD song is being played? I have found it does on the native amazon music player app (on phone and laptop). 

I use both the phone and the laptop and neither seems to display that a HD song is being played….

I thought it was possibly to do with my old S1 system. However I have a new S2 setup and the same thing is true…

Both systems are up top date, latest firmware and software etc.

Sonos S1 with ZP 80 into a Denon

Separate system: Sonos S2 with arc, sub, etc

Thanks.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

With the latest 13.4 update on the S2 app, a new “HD” badge should appear on the Now Playing screen when streaming a lossless 16-bit or 24-bit stream from Sonos Radio HD or Amazon Music Unlimited. This information is from a Sonos rep:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3640546/sonos-arc-and-beam-get-dts-support.html

Deleted

Badge

With the latest 13.4 update on the S2 app, a new “HD” badge should appear on the Now Playing screen when streaming a lossless 16-bit or 24-bit stream from Sonos Radio HD or Amazon Music Unlimited. This information is from a Sonos rep:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3640546/sonos-arc-and-beam-get-dts-support.html

So only Amazon (streaming services I mean) will show the HD badge?

Userlevel 7

According to the article, only Sonos Radio HD or Amazon Music Unlimited will display the HD badge when streaming lossless 16-bit or 24-bit audio. I have also heard that it may work on Qobuz too, but it doesn’t currently work for me. I would expect to see Sonos add this feature to more music services in the future.

Badge

According to the article, only Sonos Radio HD or Amazon Music Unlimited will display the HD badge when streaming lossless 16-bit or 24-bit audio. I have also heard that it may work on Qobuz too, but it doesn’t currently work for me. I would expect to see Sonos add this feature to more music services in the future.

Yeah Qobuz is not working for me either. Only Amazon and I already have a lot of streaming services, I must start cancelling some, and Amazon is on that list, or maybe not? 😂

In the past, changes like this sometimes take some time to rollout as it likely requires a Amazon and (maybe Sonos) cloud service to send HD audio to your system.  Certain folks may get the feature before others.  As well, the article does not say if this is rolling out to all countries right now.

That said, it has been a few days now.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yeah Qobuz is not working for me either. Only Amazon and I already have a lot of streaming services, I must start cancelling some, and Amazon is on that list, or maybe not? 😂

While Amazon Music Unlimited and Sonos Radio HD should have HD badging up and running, for the moment Qobuz will not show the HD badge when streaming through Sonos, this is something that our developers are aware of. 

Badge

While Amazon Music Unlimited and Sonos Radio HD should have HD badging up and running, for the moment Qobuz will not show the HD badge when streaming through Sonos, this is something that our developers are aware of. 

Hi Craig!

i hope Qobuz streaming adds the HD icon soon, but how about Tidal? 16 bits 44.1 will not get the HD icon? Odd because if I recall Sonos Radio HD streams at 16 bits 44.1kHz

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @umerfulo !

More services could have the HD icon added in the future, and while there’s nothing I can share on that at the moment I’m happy to pass the suggestion along for you.

Badge

Hi @umerfulo !

More services could have the HD icon added in the future, and while there’s nothing I can share on that at the moment I’m happy to pass the suggestion along for you.

Thanks!!!

Did Sonos ever get the HD badge to display for the Qobuz app… how can I confirm I’m streaming in 24bit?

Did Sonos ever get the HD badge to display for the Qobuz app… how can I confirm I’m streaming in 24bit?

There no badge with Qobuz on Sonos, and no way to tell whether it’s 16 or 24 bit.

(TBH if you’re wanting to source Hi-Res content from Qobuz -- higher sampling rates and so forth -- you’re going to need to look outside Sonos.)