Am I the only one concerned by increasing number of complaints and Sonos forcing hardware upgrades ?

• 12 November 2019
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I’m worried about the software upgrades rendering my current equipment obsolete. I don’t have the money to upgrade with the 30% offer. If my equipment becomes obsolete through feature/software upgrades that I do not want, then I will be dumping Sonos after years of being a fan.

Sonos used to set the standard in support and listening to their customers but I sense they have lost their way !

Is it just me ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not one support person. Several because I have been ranting at them since I got their email. I’m sure the CEO is more interested in how many people they can get to upgrade with a derisory discount offer!

Not one support person. Several because I have been ranting at them since I got their email. I’m sure the CEO is more interested in how many people they can get to upgrade with a derisory discount offer!

Did you even read the Blog post?  Because if you did, you would wonder if the CEO is really more interested in getting you to upgrade, then why is he telling you you can keep your system working as is, with bug fixes and security updates in the future.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The technical team are saying different to the CEO then. 

The technical team are saying different to the CEO then. 

Could be.  As I said, I would go with the written promises of the CEO before a phone call with a support person.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not a joined up message across the company then. Not just technical support and the CEO but the sales team too.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Your legacy devices are not paperweights.  They will just not receive new features.  If you choose, your system will continue to operate just as it does today, including bug fixes and security updates. 

Any more misinformation I can clarify? 

Since we are talking about misinformation, what happens to his new devices if he wants to keep his system working as it is today? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The official Sonos communication which underlined exactly what I have said:

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

i.e. You are stuffed and don’t expect any help from us!

Since we are talking about misinformation, what happens to his new devices if he wants to keep his system working as it is today? 

His new devices will run exactly as they do today, but will remain without new features, just like the legacy devices.  There is no way to integrate old and new devices without stopping new features.  They all must run on legacy code.  Nothing I said stated any differently, nor did I give any misinformation. 

The official Sonos communication which underlined exactly what I have said:

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

i.e. You are stuffed and don’t expect any help from us!

Nope.  That was the earlier announcement, which was clarified by the CEO’s blog.  From the CEO again:

While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think one of the big points here is they are less than four years old. Did they know when they sold them to me they were selling me a nail?

I think one of the big points here is they are less than four years old. Did they know when they sold them to me they were selling me a nail?

All legacy devices ceased being manufactured in 2015.  If yours are less than 4 years old (i.e 3 years old), you were sold 2 year old stock.  I would double check the four digits before the serial number on the label.  That is the year and month of manufacture.  If the first 2 are 16 or higher, you do not have legacy devices. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

He does not pledge that they can continue to work as one system with the new devices getting all updates and the legacy devices continuing to work with them. 
All it says is they are working on it which is what the sales teams and technical teams repeat. So no real comfort at all. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Bought direct from Sonos UK. 

He does not pledge that they can continue to work as one system with the new devices getting all updates and the legacy devices continuing to work with them. 
All it says is they are working on it which is what the sales teams and technical teams repeat. So no real comfort at all. 

Not arguing anymore with someone who clearly doesn’t want to do anything except vent.  Hope things work out for you. 

End of software updates for legacy products

What is happening?

Some older Sonos products have been stretched to the limits of their memory and processing power and are now classified as legacy products. Starting later this year, these legacy products will no longer receive software updates and new features.

When will legacy products stop receiving software updates?

Legacy products will stop receiving software updates in May 2020.

Is my Sonos system impacted?

Your system will be impacted if you have one or more legacy products in your Sonos system. If you aren’t sure if you have legacy products, you can run a quick system check on your Sonos account page.

You can also find a list of Sonos legacy products in the following article: Sonos legacy and modern products.

Will I still be able to use my legacy products after May?

Yes, you will be able to continue using legacy products after they stop receiving software updates. However, some functionality will be impacted over time.

What do I need to do if I have legacy products in my system?

You don’t need to take any action now, but you have options for what to do when your legacy products stop receiving updates. You can:

• Trade up your legacy products and save 30% on modern Sonos products through our Trade Up program.

• Leave your system as is and stop receiving software updates in May 2020. Your Sonos system will work as it does currently, though over time functionality of features and services will be impacted.

I want to leave my Sonos system with legacy products as it is. What’s going to change?

Your Sonos system will no longer receive updates, so your experience will initially remain the same. However, the functionality of features and services will be impacted as technology, particularly music service and voice partners, evolves over time.

How long until existing functionality or features are impacted?

We don’t expect any immediate impact from ending software updates.

As changes are made to technology in the future, particularly by music service and voice partners, access to certain services or features may be disrupted. An example would be a music service partner issuing a new update that isn’t backwards compatible with legacy software.

Will I be notified in advance if a feature is impacted in the future?

When possible, we will strive to provide advanced notification in the event that access to a feature or service is disrupted by a change.

Where can I learn more about trading up my legacy products?

You can find out which of your Sonos products are eligible for Trade Up on your My Account page. Each Sonos product you trade up will give you a 30% off credit to use toward a new Sonos product. You can also contact a local dealer or reseller that is participating in the Trade Up program. Additional details can be found in our Trade Up article.

If Trade Up is not available in your region, you can view more options here.

What is happening?

Some older Sonos products have been stretched to the limits of their memory and processing power and are now classified as legacy products. Starting later this year, these legacy products will no longer receive software updates and new features.

Your system will be impacted if you have one or more legacy products in your Sonos system. If you aren’t sure if you have legacy products, you can run a quick system check on your Sonos account page.

You can also find a list of Sonos legacy products in the following article: Sonos legacy and modern products.

Yes, you will be able to continue using legacy products after they stop receiving software updates. However, some functionality will be impacted over time.

You don’t need to take any action now, but you have options for what to do when your legacy products stop receiving updates. You can:

• Trade up your legacy products and save 30% on modern Sonos products through our Trade Up program.

• Leave your system as is and stop receiving software updates in May 2020. Your Sonos system will work as it does currently, though over time functionality of features and services will be impacted.

I want to leave my Sonos system with legacy products as it is. What’s going to change?

Your Sonos system will no longer receive updates, so your experience will initially remain the same. However, the functionality of features and services will be impacted as technology, particularly music service and voice partners, evolves over time.

As changes are made to technology in the future, particularly by music service and voice partners, access to certain services or features may be disrupted. An example would be a music service partner issuing a new update that isn’t backwards compatible with legacy software.

When possible, we will strive to provide advanced notification in the event that access to a feature or service is disrupted by a change.

You can find out which of your Sonos products are eligible for Trade Up on your My Account page. Each Sonos product you trade up will give you a 30% off credit to use toward a new Sonos product. You can also contact a local dealer or reseller that is participating in the Trade Up program. Additional details can be found in our Trade Up article.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en

What is happening?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Wasn’t aware I was arguing, just relaying what Sonos are telling me which is hugely disappointing after investing over £5000 in Sonos equipment. 
I'm understandably unimpressed by their attitude to customers. 
While they cannot give me answers I will no longer be an advocate for their products. 
the best thing Sonos can do is find a way to assure me legacy products will continue to work with new products. Legacy products will still be supported. New products will continue to get updates. All on the same system playing the same music at the same time. 

Guys,

The following FAQ is worth a read. I tried to cite it, but the darn spam filter flagged it.

Wasn’t aware I was arguing, just relaying what Sonos are telling me which is hugely disappointing after investing over £5000 in Sonos equipment. 
I'm understandably unimpressed by their attitude to customers. 
While they cannot give me answers I will no longer be an advocate for their products. 
the best thing Sonos can do is find a way to assure me legacy products will continue to work with new products. Legacy products will still be supported. New products will continue to get updates. All on the same system playing the same music at the same time. 

That’s just not going to happen. Not possible.  So prepare to be disappointed.

And yes, when you angrily shoot back trying to counter my posts with your own, it’s arguing.  I’ll not reply to you again.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

His new devices will run exactly as they do today, but will remain without new features, just like the legacy devices.  There is no way to integrate old and new devices without stopping new features.  They all must run on legacy code.  Nothing I said stated any differently, nor did I give any misinformation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ve Also pasted the CEO email reply to me so you can see why I am sceptical. So the support team, the sales team and the CEO are not confident things will work okay. 

Not good. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

See CEO email:

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honour that investment for as long as possible. Whilst legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, whilst legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalising details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

Whilst we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the Trade Up programme we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn't exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Patrick

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

Privacy Statement
User Terms
Unsubscribe
Manage Email Preferences
©️ 2020 Sonos Europe B.V. All rights reserved. Sonos®️ is a registered trademark of Sonos, Inc. All other products and services may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Sonos Europe bv. Schuttersweg 10, 1217 PZ Hilversum, Nederland.

You are subscribed as:

To receive the latest updates from Sonos please add sonos@email.sonos.com to your address book.

To view this email as a web page, click here.
open.aspx?ffcb10-fea315757564007c74-fe0b15717164057e74107276-fe8c1272716c017870-feff1771776c06-fe2416777d6c0478731576-ff3215757761
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think that shows why I have lost all confidence in Sonos as a company.