Question

Allow Sonos streaming to stop when I receive a phone call

Badge

Because many of us use our phone as a controller for Sonos when streaming of Spotify, Audible or Pandora it is very annoying that the streaming doesn’t stop when receiving a phone call. I understand that you desgined this intentionally, but since most of us use our phones to control Sonos could you please modify this?

Thank you,

Elaine

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Whose phone? I’d be mighty pissed off if my music kept getting interrupted because one of my family took a call. 

It’s an extremely challenging proposition, especially due to the great portion of the time, the phone(s) in question aren’t even in the line of music, since they’re simply remote controls, and the actual music playing is on the speakers. It would be interesting to do some brainstorming meetings around the concept, though. I like the intent, I’m just not convinced in the world of Sonos that it’s very easy to do. Much easier for all those apps that are actually playing music on the phone to recognize a signal interrupt. 

You can do this with various smart home control solutions.  One example is the Ynommi app, which happens to be free.  You can set it up so that whenever the phone where the app is installed receives a call, you can mute or pause a sonos room(s).  It worked just fine.  I took it off though as I found it more annoying the useful.

Badge

Thank you all for a quick response. Yes I am using my phone as a remote.  I don’t mind as much when music is playing and I get a call but more when I’m listening to a book on Audible.

( I hate it when I miss parts of Sherlock Holmes then have to retrace my steps 🙂). So your suggestion Brian would be to contact Audible/ Amazon and see if the app could recognize a signal interruption? 

Thank you, 

Elaine 

Badge

Sorry I  meant Bruce not Brian. 

Well, you could ask them….but it’s more likely that the maker of the OS would need to provide an external API notification, if they don’t already (not a programmer, just work with them), which then the folks from Sonos could attach to (assuming the Sonos app is running, and hasn’t been shut down) which could then accept that notification and process a pause event in the app that runs on the speakers, which is what is actually playing the audio. There’s a lot of ‘ifs’ in that thought process, any of which could be extremely challenging to overcome. Not to mention the logic issues, such as Danny brought up. What should the app do if one of the other phones that are in your Wi-Fi signal rings?Should the audio boom resume when you hang up? How does the system know when you’ve hung up? What if you don’t answer the phone? Does that mean it only pauses the book on the third ring, in case you’re still listening, and have silenced the phone call? Does the OS provided notification externally that you’ve silenced, or answered the phone? That’s 3 minutes of brainstorming, I’d be willing to bet good money I haven’t covered more than 10% of the questions a programmer would ask to be in a design doc for this feature.

Id start with asking the maker of the OS, and then once you’re certain that all of that information is available to outside companies such as Sonos, then I’d contact Sonos (which you have, and this kind of request has been repeated many other times) and ask them to put this contact on their backlog of work to be done. Then someone will figure out how much effort it would take, how many resources would be required, and weigh that against how many customers would be impacted, and finally, how many new users it would draw to the Sonos ecosystem, since the only way Sonos makes money is to sell speakers. It gets no revenue share from any of the companies that stream across its speakers. 

Long winded way of suggesting you’ve already done what you should, by requesting it/adding your name to the list of those who have asked for it before now. Since Sonos doesn’t share their roadmap with the public ( read: their competitors ), they could possibly be working on it for the next software release. Or, they might not. We just don’t know until they release the software. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think using native Airplay would solve that issue if you're playing from the phone.  When playing through the Sonos system, pausing the system would be really hard unless it tied into your specific phone’s iOS system. I would say Airplay, through the phone (through the iOS command center, not through spotify or other audio apps directly and it should pause when you get a call. (all assuming you're using iOS and not Android lol)

Badge

Thank you all,

I’ve had my Sonos Play1 speakers for a while.  I have 3 of them. If I purchased a newer Sonos One, connect it to my Google Mini (hopefully that would work) could I simply tell Google to stop Sonos?

Maybe this is a dumb question...would the Sonos One stop all of my Sonos Play1 speakers?  

Thank you,

Elaine

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The Sonos One actually has the option to use Alexa or Google as a voice assistant so you wont end up needing a Google Mini in that room. Then you could tell Google to “stop” and it will stop playing from that room and any other speakers that are grouped with that room at the time. 

I do this with Alexa in my Sonos One all the time, it’s the quickest way to stop it lol

Badge

Thank you!!

That sounds great! Now I just need to get a Sonos One  

All the best to the Sonos community,

Elaine