Alexa and Sonos are not a combination

• 8 December 2021
  • 4 replies

There is always an issue with Sonos and Alexia. 
I have three Sonos play ones for a couple of years.

sometime alexia will not stop playing radio or music, sometime button on top to pause does not work.

sometime Alexia responds to STOP other time PAUSE or doesn’t work.
its always has an issue… what next month. You would think an update work fix it… no just another set of issues. Its a but crap.

time to try GOOGLE. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There is always an issue with Sonos and Alexia. 
I have three Sonos play ones for a couple of years.

sometime alexia will not stop playing radio or music, sometime button on top to pause does not work.

sometime Alexia responds to STOP other time PAUSE or doesn’t work.
its always has an issue… what next month. You would think an update work fix it… no just another set of issues. Its a but crap.

time to try GOOGLE. 

Are you sure it’s an issue with Sonos and Alexa or just Alexa?  Have you tried the same tests with an echo without Sonos involved.  From what I’ve see Alexa either hears me correct, or she doesn’t and Sonos never gets passed the command.

My opinion is that voice control isn’t stable or constantly improving because Amazon is constantly trying to improve the voice control...which can often break things that work perfectly well.  Not exactly a criticism of Amazon, but it’s the nature of IT development at times.

Google could very well be better, but I am used to Amazon, fortunately or unfortunately,  Sonos is rumored to be working on their own voice assistant, that will work with Alexa, but not Google, due to Google’s restrictions.  We will see how it turns out.

I think generally, I have spent more time troubleshooting my Sonos speakers than any other piece of tech I have owned. Excluding windows 95 plug and play issues over 20 years ago.

It's ridiculous that premium speakers need this much attention. If I had known the issues when I was shopping around I would not have purchased a single Sonos device. It seems to be a device issue as much as a software/Alexa specific issue. 

This applies not only to the Alexa Integration. It applies generally to the integration of the technology into Android apps generally as well. 

Maybe using an apple device and itunes apps would provide a better experience. If that's the case then it should be explicit that Sonos tech is not compatible with Samsung/Android flagship devices. 

My system is 4 one speakers and a beam. 

I have Samsung devices and Sonos is basically flawless.  Best tech I’ve ever owned, although very early on I reserved an IP address for each Sonos device in my router setup.  That was an essential step to the setup.

Maybe using an apple device and itunes apps would provide a better experience. If that's the case then it should be explicit that Sonos tech is not compatible with Samsung/Android flagship devices. 

Not an observation that I recognise. I presently have a couple dozen Sonos devices in my system. Primarily controlled from a Samsung A41, with occasional contributions from a Tab S7+ and a Tab S5e. Works absolutely fine. 

This sounds like another case of Sonos getting the blame for a flaky network. Sonos Support could probably advise, if supplied with a system diagnostic and the confirmation number.