Advertisement Pop Ups in Sonos app

• 1 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

I can’t tell you enough how annoying these new pop up ads are in the app. For the cash I have spent on my rather large system I think Donos really has a lot of nerve to have started this. The messages didn’t bother me but these pop ups are outrageous and really not fitting for an upscale product like this

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can’t tell you enough how annoying these new pop up ads are in the app. For the cash I have spent on my rather large system I think Donos really has a lot of nerve to have started this. The messages didn’t bother me but these pop ups are outrageous and really not fitting for an upscale product like this

I haven't seen one of these pop-up ads. Can you post a screenshot?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Nor me. Maybe you should check your online profile and turn them off under ‘Contact Options’? That’s the likely culprit, but not having seen any pop up ads I couldn’t be sure. 

Go here:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/

Login, choose Profile, uncheck Contact Options - Sonos App.  

Understand that this removes all contact messages, including ones that warn you about upcoming changes to hardware/software that may affect your system.  For instance, people who turned off contact options didn’t get notified about the loss of “On This iDevice” functionality.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Nor me. Maybe you should check your online profile and turn them off under ‘Contact Options’? That’s the likely culprit, but not having seen any pop up ads I couldn’t be sure. 

Interesting. Both options are checked in my profile but I have not seen any pop ups, have never received an email warning about an update (not complaining just an observation). Maybe I need to spend more time in the app.

Today was the 3rd time this month that a “shop now” popup appeared when opening the app. It’s sickening after spending a fair amount of money with Sonos over the years. And I have both boxes unchecked in the contact portion of my profile!

This isn’t the only spammy thing that Sonos does. In their effort to collect (and probably monetize) more information from it’s users, every time the app is updated, the “recently played” panel reappears with an activate button even though I choose to hide the panel. It stays hidden until the next app update and then reappears as if they think they can trick their customers into letting them collect more information about them. When I contacted them several times to complain they assured me each time that the panel would stay hidden - they lied! 

And I remember back when they made a major update to their privacy policy and told customers their speakers would stop working if they didn’t agree to the new privacy policy.

All in all, Sonos makes great speakers and a good system but as a company, I believe they’re basically greedy and dishonest. Scum!

I’m received advertisement as well to day. All I wanted was to change the playlist. What are SONOS thinking? All I want is to change the playlist - I don’t want shopping.

SONOS wake up!

Your users want:

• Turn on music
  • Turn off music
  • Change music
  • Adjust volume

Your users do not want:

• pop-up with adds
  • endless updates to app
  • endless updates to system

Please leave my SONOS system alone - It’s fine as it is without any advertisement and endless updates.

Suggest adding additional communication settings, enabling users to switch-off advertising but still receive important system messages (and put this option on the advert). I believe most people who have invested in one of your products are aware of your product range, and in my opinion your controller app isn’t the place to advertise. I’ve had several adverts pop-up when using the app, and I wouldn’t expect my HiFi interface to bombard me with advertising. I think you produce a great product and this kind of thing is disappointing and potentially damaging to your brand.