Added Functionality

• 6 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Let devices play to the speaker over Bluetooth directly instead of only through certain apps. E.g. Let my computer see the device and install it as a Bluetooth speaker. Alternatively, provide an app that will play anything playing on the computer through the speakers. The issue I am running into is that the Sonos Desktop Application crashes when I try to view or search my uploaded to the app music, but if I could just use my media player (MediaMonkey, or even iTunes), then I could use my already existing playlists and music library.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, thank you for your post. This is a great suggestion and I can definitely see the benefit of it. I will be sure to forward it to the necessary department. Do let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't think bluetooth technology is something that Sonos can just let happen. I could be wrong, but I believe it requires specific hardware that existing Sonos devices don't have.

As far as the desktop application crashing, that sounds like the issue that needs to be resolved. Have you had any luck with Sonos support to resolve this issue?
I have not contacted support yet. I am going through my music (I used to use a different media player that stopped being supported, so I switched to MediaMonkey) and re-classifying the rating level of all the songs (Why, for the love of humanity, do music players / MP3s not retain and use the same rating system?!?! - I should just be able to upload my MP3s to any media player and it should see the previous rating I gave the songs!). When I uploaded my library (49.3 gb, 24,159 'songs' (I have some comedians, and audio books in there as well), I had read online that the limit was about 50 gb. So, once I trim down my library upload to only my 3 to 5 star songs, then I will try it again. If that doesn't work, I will call support. I work in IT so I don't like calling support unless I have tried all I can think of to fix the issue myself 🙂. Thanks for the quick replies!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have not contacted support yet. I am going through my music (I used to use a different media player that stopped being supported, so I switched to MediaMonkey) and re-classifying the rating level of all the songs (Why, for the love of humanity, do music players / MP3s not retain and use the same rating system?!?! - I should just be able to upload my MP3s to any media player and it should see the previous rating I gave the songs!). When I uploaded my library (49.3 gb, 24,159 'songs' (I have some comedians, and audio books in there as well), I had read online that the limit was about 50 gb. So, once I trim down my library upload to only my 3 to 5 star songs, then I will try it again. If that doesn't work, I will call support. I work in IT so I don't like calling support unless I have tried all I can think of to fix the issue myself 🙂. Thanks for the quick replies!

There isn't a maximum total size. What there is is a hard limit the number of songs of 65,000. You may not be able to use all 65,000 dependant on the size of tags you use.

My library is 131 GB with no issues
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To add to what Stuart stated, Sonos doesn't upload your music, all it does is create an index. It then uses the index to located the music on your hard drive or NAS and play it over your local network.
Thanks for the replies, it is great information to have.