A Boost Suggestion

• 16 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have an audio dropout problem with my Sonos system. I didn't have this problem when I first got my Sonos system, or for several years after. In searching the internet for solutions to the problem however, I notice that many other people have problems that are much like mine. Working with the Sonos people we've been able to alleviate, but not eradicate my problem.

At first I couldn't tell whether the problem was with my in-house internet or the world-wide internet. An easy (but not conclusive) test for this was to see if I got dropouts from my in-house music files or not. If I got dropouts from all exterior sources and none from the interior ones that seems pretty conclusive to me. My dropouts all come from exterior sources. My understanding of that situation indicates that a larger digital audio signal buffer would fix the problem. But (especially) older Sonos equipment has no way to add a buffer to the signal.

Thus, I would like to suggest that Sonos build an improved Boost that includes an adjustable audio signal buffer -- adjustable because I may need more or less buffering than you. One that adjusted itself over a few hours or days of use would be best, or I could adjust it to meet my needs if necessary.

Please Sonos, give us a way to improve buffering on our Sonos audio systems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Elbridge Zimmerman,

It is possible that the issues are associated with your favorite stations. Typically, a radio station will submit a stream of their current broadcast to a streaming service because it is a lot of bother for the station to maintain streaming servers. If the station's Internet connection is less than stellar or they contract with a cut rate streaming service, performance might suffer. Less likely, but possible is that your ISP has an issue with the streaming services used by your stations. ISP's maintain connections over multiple paths. One would expect that Amazon Prime Radio would traverse over a premium path that is closely monitored. Your stations might arrive at your ISP over a second rate route.

You may discover that your issues are related to time of day.

Within 20 minutes after one of your "events" submit a Diagnostic and post the confirmation number here. SONOS support can read the Diagnostic and give advice.
elbridge-zimmerman,

As you are perhaps in a very small minority here, it seems to me that it would be far easier to simply change your local ISP/Router for improved delivery of external data streams, if that is where you 'believe' the problem may actually lie in your case?

Why bother to have Sonos adjust their buffering, which works absolutely fine for the majority of users. Do you not think it would be far better to take up your grievance with your local provider instead.
Badge
If you have looked at the community you will find the I am not in a very small minority. It might be a minority, and I'm not at all sure of that, but it isn't small. Living out in the "country" I have very limited (none) ability to change my ISP and I have installed an Orbi router at home. I would be happy to buy an "improved" Boost.
My wife and I travel around the UK quite a lot during the spring/summer in the Motorhome and we take with us a 3G/4G Huawei mobile MiFi device (see image attached) which is linked to '3 Mobile' mostly, but I also carry an 'EE' data sim too. We stay at quite some remote locations and even using that device, I have no noteable buffering issues playing Amazon streaming music to my Sonos speakers.

Your provider needs to up their game, if they are delivering data to you at rates that are slower than a 3G mobile connection.

For the very rare times when there is just no mobile signal at all, we keep 'favourite' downloaded music on an iPad and that plays fine over the local LAN too.
Which online service(s) are we talking about here? What format and bitrate?

FWIW the Boost is a pure networking device. It has no audio facilities, hence no ability to buffer music data.
Badge
Hi ratty,
I using both TuneIn (Audiophile Baroque) and Calm Radio (Johann Strauss, Jr.). I don't know the format or the bitrate -- I'm not sure a user should need to? I'm sorry to hear the Boost can't help. Are dropouts just a fact of Sonos digital life?
Badge
A surprising discovery: while Audiophile Baroque, Calm Radio and local radio stations have constant dropouts, Amazon Prime Radio has none! What is Amazon doing right that the other aren't? (Or does Sonos have an arrangement with Amazon.)