4 channel amp

• 31 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
If I have a 4 channel amp that is 2 ohm stable, can I wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel in one channel and I would split the 80 rms watts per channel to 40 watts per speaker with an impedense of 2 ohms. This is because I have 4 front speakers and 4 rear.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Check your amps specs and see if the 80 Watts is at 8 Ohms, it may have more power at 4 or 2 Ohms which would help out a bit with the maximum volume.

The amp is likely to work if it is truly stable at 2 Ohms and the speakers don't present an impedance below 2 Ohms at any frequency. I'd certainly give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't an impedance matching speaker splitter is not too expensive and it will work for you.
Badge +1
Good thinking! I didn’t even think of that. But if the 2 speakers are wired in parallel it should have a total impedance of 2
Badge +1
Thanks for replying
Badge +1
Both speakers should remain at 4 ohm right, and the wattage should be split equally
Badge +1
So I don’t think I would gain any power
Badge +1
The amp is stable at 2 ohms when in stereo. That confuses me a little
Badge +1
How can you be in stereo in one speaker channel
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Working at 2 Ohms is very touchy, the amp may be happy to do that but even a bit less than 2 could cause issues and speakers don't usually show the same impedance at various frequencies so they could push things a bit too far. Having two in parallel can also cause the impedance to vary a bit from the speaker's sticker. All that is enough to put me int "may work" territory rather than saying it will or won't.

Most amplifiers deliver their rated power into 8 Ohms, if you connect speakers with less the amp will usually deliver more power. Hopefully your spec sheet on the amp has the different power levels at various impedance levels. Take the Russound P125 as an example, it delivers 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms or 125 watts into 4 ohms, it doesn't have a 2 Ohm spec listed though.

I'm not sure about your last question but if you have two channels of stereo amplification (four pairs of terminals) some amplifiers offer a switch to blend the stereo signal on one or both into mono and provide that mono signal to both right and left outputs.
Badge +1
Thanks for all the replies I bought 4 Kicker 3.5” speakers with s 50 rms wattage and 4 6.5” Kicker coaxial speakers with a 100 watt rms. I put 600 hz bass blockers on the 3.5” Kicker ksc series. You’re right when wired in parallel I get 120 watts per channel split evenly because all speakers are 4 ohms creating a 2 ohm impedance which the amp is rated to handle. I used the dual 4 channel xpr84d amp because of the review I saw on YouTube with the guy who dyno’s amps under $300 and finds out if they are a Budget gem or budget bust. He went bonkers over this amp and the 2 channel one. $89 dollars for the 4 channel at Walmart and $59 for the 2 channel. The system is awesome. I am in disbelief on how well the amp sounds. So each speaker is getting 60 watts rms and because the 6.5” have a high sensitivity they sound great. The 3.5” ksc speaker are unbelievable and I’m in love with them. The 6.5” Kicker’s are the csc series and they’re great also. Both are 2 way speakers and I can’t be happier with my setup. The amp is so small it fit under my steering wheel on my 2016 Jeep Wrangler. So far so good, it’s handlling the 2 ohm load perfectly. I only connected one end with rubber grommets to separate it from the chassis. The drive line is right above it so it hangs at around a 30 degree angle so it doesn’t interfere with it. It happened to be that the setting are st the side that I can’t see, so with practice I learned how to set the gains and other setting with out actually seeing then with a Phillips tip screw driver’s head. I set the high pass filter at around 140 I think ( it ranged from 40 to 250 and I think I set it a little before half way. The gain it set about 80% for the front and back. I didn’t touch the bass boost, which the YouTube host says to keep them as counter clockwise as possible. I don’t use the low past filter. I have 2 10” Kicker subs that take care of the bass connected to a separate pioneer 2 channel amp giving 150 watts rms to each sub that are rated at 150 rms. I couldn’t be happier!