Answered

ZP90 with CR100

• 11 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi I am running 2 Zp90s along with 2 CR100s and a Play 5 Gen1. Having recently moved the ZP90s, one of them stopped playing out through the RCA plugs and no longer shows up if I connect a line in.

Probably not worth trying to get a fix but if I can source a replacement from ebay etc is it possible to connect this into the system without loosing my CR100 functionality as there is no optoin on these controllers now to add a new player.

Many thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by John B 11 April 2021, 09:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. I don't think there is any chance of that. You would have to factory reset the purchased unit and then there would be no way of updating it to whatever version your system is currently on.

Thank you JohnB, I guessed that would be the case just hoped someone on here with a bit more knowledge than me might have had a workaround.

Maybe somebody yet will come along with something they have managed to do that I haven't thought of. 

Clutching to Sonos v7.3 to keep 2 CR100s and the utility of 2 older tablets as controllers.  Currently OK on one ZP80, 2 Play 1s and a Play 5 - all Gen 1, of course.  A second ZP80 (on 7,3) sits as a spare in the cupboard until we go away when take it with us to connect to the local router (in a Corful villa).  Last autumn off it went with us to Corfu but on connection Sonos told me that the ZP80 was a new component that needed to be brought onto the system afresh so requiring a  reset - no doubt triggering a system software update and the loss of the old controllers,  Seems the ZP80 had lost its settings,  The ZP80 had worked as a spare / villa connector for at least 4 annual visits to Corfu,

Do Sonos components not connected to power and each other for some months ‘lose’ their software?  Can I get the ZP80 back up and running without a system update?  Thanks.

@BrianJ .  I can’t think of a way you could do this. Presumably your system is not isolaed from the internet if you are getting this message?

I am (genuinely) intrigued by the idea of the ZP80 as a portable Sonos device.  Do you take a hifi and NAS drive with you as well?

John B.  Just tried to get the ZP80 back on line here at home (I hadn’t tried since Corfu last autumn).  Sonos still tells me I need a software update when I try to bring the ZP into the system.  Sonos (v7.3) notifies the need for the update via a pop-up panel that offers ‘Update’ (red bar) and a ‘Done’ option.  I dare not try ‘Done’ lest the system apply an update anyway: does anyone know if this is so?  Odd that the ZP is reporting a software standard at variance with the rest of my system despite having behaved itself many times on other jaunts (to a variety of destinations).  Perhaps a power cycle or something has corrupted the load.  In the past, by the way, I have checked the ZP as ‘OK’ before travelling; I didn’t bother last time.

All I have done in the past is to take the spare ZP with us when we went away and connected it by cable to the local router.  The ZP doesn’t know where it is and just gets itself online as if it was at home.  Of course, in Corfu all the UK blocked  Tunein stations reappear.  Last time round I had to connect an (old) SP / Play 5 to the router by cable instead.  I only took the ZP so that the Play 5 could be used wirelessly rather than being tethered to the router.  The ZP had the added advantage of providing a line in for the TV sound to be played on the SP5 when we were driven in by the mosquitos.  Had to use the SP5 line in instead.

PS  You’d think this forum’s spell check would have had ‘Sonos’ added…  And I think it’s been raised before but the lack of an OP edit of posts with typos is a pain.

Edit: (perhaps the option is lifed?): we just play Qobuz, Tunein (Paradise)  and line in from an old I-pod; no NAS.