Answered

Won't play from music folders on PC

• 15 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi!

Our Sonos doesn't seem to want to play music from our music folders saved on our PC. Whatever song is the last in the cue- it says "unable to play". It worked about a month ago- there has been an update since then if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you! Bobbye 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 17 June 2020, 17:26

Hi @groobie. Try removing that folder path and re-add it. If the same issue appears, try a “test folder” in another location (I recommend the desktop), Please submit a diagnostic as well so I would be able to see the error in further detail. Thanks for posting!

View original

8 replies

Badge

Unable to play song name and artist.mp3-unable to connect to DESKTOP 1NDS17 and the the folder name and hierarchy.

Thought I better be more explicit. Thanks again. any help appreciated!

I assume you have a Sonos Music Library  set up and pointing to the music folders? Have you tried to reminder?

Badge

It doesn’t seem to have issue finding the folders since the total folder name is shown in the error message. But I’m not too saavy. Could you help explain what a “reminder” is?

We’ve had our Sonos since 2008 and never had this before. Thank you again

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi.

Are you using an indexed ‘music library’ or the ‘cast to device’ option available on right click menu?  Either way both should work.  Are you using an older version of the software?  Again, both should work on older versions of the software and I don’t know whether the cast to device feature is still on the latest software.

Does this happen with all ‘last’ songs or everything?  Could it be odd characters in track listings, but if everything it might need further investigation.  Have you googled the error term?

Badge

Quite awhile ago we went through and renamed everything the same...no odd characters. Artist name then song name and extension name (like .mp3). We have 3 Folders to pull from depending on which folder we want to pay from shown under Music Library then Music Source. Not that it matters, named ‘mysongs’, ‘music’ and ‘songs’. Sonos will play just fine from the one named ‘music’ but not the other two. All formatted the same.It will give the error message on the last song in the queue and on up the list of songs with the same error.  

“Unable to play song name and artist.mp3-unable to connect to DESKTOP 1NDS17/ folder name” 

Hi @groobie. Try removing that folder path and re-add it. If the same issue appears, try a “test folder” in another location (I recommend the desktop), Please submit a diagnostic as well so I would be able to see the error in further detail. Thanks for posting!

Badge

I almost tried that yesterday but lost my nerve to do it. Well, I did it and it worked!!! Hooray! Thank you so very much, Adam S! 

I purchased a new router and although I’ve removed and re-added the music folder, Sonos won’t play my music in iTunes. Their support went from terrific, to HORRIBLE AND NON-EXISTENT in a matter of a few months. If I were to bet, they are going out of business. What a shame!