Answered

Wiring in extra speakers

• 25 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey guys,

I basically want to wire in 2 sonos speakers in my office as a stereo pair at the back part of my house.

My wireless router is pretty close to where the left speaker will be positioned, so I was wondering whether there is any issue with disabling wifi on the left speaker when it is wired in and keeping the wifi on the right speaker turned on while also wired in to help act as a sort of hub at the back area of the house? I have a couple of other speakers located in rooms nearby that don’t get the best signal from the main Sonos Playbar already wired in my lounge area that could benefit from a wired in hub at the back part of my house.

I know the left speaker usually acts as the master in a stereo pair, so concerned about possible issues if disabling wifi on that speaker.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 November 2019, 08:54

I thought in my scenario it would cause a lot less interference to turn off wifi on the left speaker.

Agreed. Disable it. You’ll be wiring the right unit, which will be fine. 

View original

5 replies

Don’t disable “WiFi” -- which is actually disabling SonosNet -- on any of the extra speakers. Just wire them. SonosNet will automatically figure out how best to serve the wireless players.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Don’t disable “WiFi” -- which is actually disabling SonosNet -- on any of the extra speakers. Just wire them. SonosNet will automatically figure out how best to serve the wireless players.

Thanks for your reply.

Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t leaving the wifi on the speaker near the wifi router cause problems? Isn’t it best to turn wifi off on that speaker?

Also, I thought the more speakers I wire in and leave wifi turned on, the more chance of a network loop and broadcast storm happening?

Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t leaving the wifi on the speaker near the wifi router cause problems? Isn’t it best to turn wifi off on that speaker?

Not unless the speaker is right next to the router, in which case there might be issues. Typically one should separate them by 50-100cm if possible, to avoid the transceivers fighting.

Also, I thought the more speakers I wire in and leave wifi turned on, the more chance of a network loop and broadcast storm happening?

Loops and network storms are relatively rare with most home networking kit since they usually forward the necessary traffic that prevents them (Spanning Tree Protocol) transparently. If you were to introduce a managed switch it may need to have STP support enabled explicitly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Not unless the speaker is right next to the router, in which case there might be issues. Typically one should separate them by 50-100cm if possible, to avoid the transceivers fighting.

Loops and network storms are relatively rare with most home networking kit since they usually forward the necessary traffic that prevents them (Spanning Tree Protocol) transparently. If you were to introduce a managed switch it may need to have STP support enabled explicitly.

Thanks Ratty,

This is the thing though, the left speaker is only about 15cm from the wireless router as it’s on a small computer desk which has a large iMac and other (non wifi) networking equipment on it. I am able to give about a metre between the right speaker and wifi router but no room to do the same with the left.

I thought in my scenario it would cause a lot less interference to turn off wifi on the left speaker.

Agreed. Disable it. You’ll be wiring the right unit, which will be fine.