Wired speaker regularly cuts out

• 7 October 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge
I have one wired speaker and a few wireless ones. At approximately one quarter past the hour, every hour, the wired speaker cuts out for about 30 seconds. The wirelss speakers have no interruption. The speaker still shows in the controller and the time isn't exact; sometimes, for example, 2:16, sometime 2:18 but always around the quarter past mark. After that, it will cut out a few more times before regaining stability. I'm stumped as to why this is happening. Ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
DHCP IP renewal time?

Try setting static / reserved IP addresses for yoiur Sonos gear and see if it quits happening after you reboot them all.
As a random guess, based on the data, I'd suggest it's the IP address being "taken" by something else, and then relinquishing it back to the speaker. Well, that, or something causing wifi interference at that particular moment every day. The former, while more rare, can be fairly easily tested by unplugging your Sonos speaker, then rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos speaker. That will cause a refresh of the DHCP table in your router, and for the Sonos to get a new IP address. That being said, generally speaking, a IP lease should have done this already, so it's not as strong a potential as I may have made it sound. It's never a bad thing to set up reserved IP addresses for all of your internet connected devices, either wired or wifi, so that you're sure that they won't conflict. It certainly doesn't hurt, and can potentially help.

The other thing is of course, the wifi interference. Read this: wifi interference FAQ The really unfortunate truth is that we all have much less control over our wifi than we think. There's a ton of outside influences, both inside the home, and outside, that can cause issues. The timing on your issue is odd, to be sure. Perhaps there's some device, either in your house, or in a neighbors, that kicks off some sort of ping that interferes with your devices. I suppose one quick way to check if it is indeed a problem with the wifi is to temporarily wire that unit directly to your router, say around 2, and see if it gets interfered with at 2:15. If it doesn't, then it is likely wifi interference that doesn't have the capability to affect a wired connection.

Hope this helps lead you to somewhere where you can resolve the issue.
Oh, wait. You said the wired one is the one that drops out. So, ignore my whole story around wireless interference. Stick with the potential IP address problem. Sorry, watching football and typing answers here apparently isn't as useful as I think it should be 🙂
Badge
Thanks for the response.
I'm not sure that that's it because the renewal time is not that frequent. If it was renewal time, wouldn't that affect all and not just the wired speaker?
Due to a flaw in the router/modem, I have to preriodically reset to factory which wipes out all my personalized settings so am trying to avoid any customization.
No, it could be just the IP address that the wired speaker happens to be assigned is the one that's duplicated elsewhere. There's no "guaranty" that it could be happening on other speakers.

If you can't set up your own reserved IP addresses, I'd definitely do the unplug the Sonos, then power cycle the router, then plug in the Sonos thing. A fresh DHCP table and new IP addresses would be a welcome thing, I suspect.

I have an AT&T modem/router that has been proven to have issues (at least a while ago, haven't checked recently) with Sonos. What I ended up doing is turning off the AT&T wireless portion, and just using it as a modem to connect to my DSL signal. I use a Netgear router to handle all of my wifi needs. I have greater clarity about what's going on in it, too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If the router is frustrating maybe you can turn off some of the internal services like DNS and DHCP and use another device to provide them, one not so buggy and that offers a way to back-up and restore your settings if things do go wrong.

I am using an interesting piece of software, called Pi-hole that runs on a Raspberry Pi as well as a variety of other computers and provides DNS and DHCP to the local LAN. It runs fine on any Pi, even an antique v1 that is of little other use. It will also do DNS filtering which was the original goal of the project but is optional. https://pi-hole.net
Badge
Interesting that you both mention separating the wifi and modem functions. A buddy had suggested I do the same to get over some of the wifi problems I've been having. Since the router also provides TV service, I'll have to do more research before I charge down that path (my understanding of how all this stuff works is tenuous, at best).

OK, I unplugged the speaker, rebooted the router and it's quarter past the hour and no drop. I realized that I hadn't plugged the speaker back in. Initially, I had made it a wired connection because of the many wifi problems I was having (frequent drops, etc, etc). I'll give it another hour and test it again; this time wired to see if that makes any difference.
Good luck!

Yea, that's ultimately what convinced me to make the AT&T device only a modem, I had no confidence in it as a wifi device or a router, much less any documentation. It feeds a WAN signal via ethernet cable to a device that I have much more knowledge and control over.
Badge
Success! (so far, anyway - when it comes to computers, I am naturally hesitant). Two 'quarter past the hour' cycles and no drops. I'm going to have to sit and think a bit on why unplugging the speaker, rebooting the router and re-connecting the speaker (or not) worked when the couple of thousand of other things I've tried didn't. I'll still keep my eye on it for the next little while, in any case.
Also, once I can figure how to separate the router function from the modem function but keep the (wifi) TV function, I think I'll get a new router.
Thanks to you both for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
On your router you might look for "Bridge Mode" which removes the WiFi and Routing functions and lets you connect an external router.
Badge
Found it. A quick search brought up the user guide topic explaining the how's, why's and when's. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.