Answered

Windows program loss of function with latest update

Badge
I updated Sonos program to v 9.2 on Win 7 computer. Since then, have lost the ability to add speakers and to access wireless settings. I have uninstalled the app on all other devices except on one Android device which still lets me update things. Other threads have indicated this problem is caused by having differing versions of various devices but I believe I have the most current version on both devices. Any suggestions or has the Windows program been purposely hamstrung?
icon

Best answer by JackWright 3 November 2018, 20:32

I updated Sonos program to v 9.2 on Win 7 computer. Since then, have lost the ability to add speakers and to access wireless settings. I have uninstalled the app on all other devices except on one Android device which still lets me update things. Other threads have indicated this problem is caused by having differing versions of various devices but I believe I have the most current version on both devices. Any suggestions or has the Windows program been purposely hamstrung?

A very recent update actually had features removed from the Windows version of the app... so unfortunately, you will need to use a mobile device for setup.

Read more here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4

A very recent update actually had features removed from the Windows version of the app... so unfortunately, you will need to use a mobile device for setup.

Read more here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Badge
Thanks for the reply.
That's really unfortunate because I can't get the mobile app to recognize any other speakers so I'm stuck with one functioning speaker and a number of boat anchors. The speakers, PC and phone all show up on the router LAN status page so the router at least can see everything. It's only Sonos that can't (which is kind of crucial to the whole thing). I get that they're trying to keep costs down by reducing their maintenance expenses but I don't care much to be forced to do everything on a small screen.
If you have a dual band modem, make sure you mobile devices are connected to the 2.4 GHz band to access Sonos.
Badge
Thanks. I do have a dual band router governed by something called SmartSteering which might be causing the problem (the router determines who gets which band). I'll have to play with that to see how to disable it or overcome it.
And, ,in late breaking news, you know how the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different resuults? Well, I just tried "one last time" and Sonos recognized the other speakers! Not sure what was different this time but I don't think I have the heart or time to fight with technology much more.
...I don't think I have the heart or time to fight with technology much more.

This is the story of my life 🙂
Userlevel 1
Sonos removed the management functions from the Desktop Controller.
See my post :
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-dumped-the-ability-to-control-your-system-from-a-desktop-controller-6814855
and the annoncement of Sonos
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300

You need now an Mobile Device in order to get your Sonos system working again.
Soooo. I do not have a mobile device to set this up. What do I do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Return it, because Sonos has unfortunately decided that you need a smartphone or tablet to set up a new speaker or new Sonos system. Hopefully you bought it from them directly, and they'll be able to document cases of this happening so they can hopefully rethink their actions.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings