Answered

Will a new Sonos One SL work on a system running S1

Hi there,

I’ve been a happy Sonos user for many years. I now want to add a new Sonos One SL to my system to provide music into a spare room. My current system has a legacy component and thus I am unable (read unwilling) to upgrade to the S2 controller. Will a new Sonos One SL purchased today work with my S1 system? 

Hope someone out there has a definitive answer?!

Thanks in advance.

Sean.

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 August 2020, 19:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Will a new Sonos One SL purchased today work with my S1 system? 

Yes.

A great, succinct, definitive answer. Thank you!

I am in the same situation as Sean. I have a system running on S1( 2 no play5, sound bar, 1no play 1, 1no. Play one) and have just purchased aOne SL. Prior to purchasing I understood that it would co reside with my other speakers but when I went to set it up it said that it was not compatible so not sure how to go about it now.  Any advice would be appreciated.

many thanks

It should be OK. Was this bought new or used?

Thanks for the reply, it is brand new.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

According to Sonos: 

While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1... it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1.

Ok thanks.I guess that I will have to replace all my system to S2 over the next few years. So if I downgrade my new S2product to S1 now would this mean that it can’t be restored to S2 at a future time?

thanks

Ok thanks.I guess that I will have to replace all my system to S2 over the next few years. So if I downgrade my new S2product to S1 now would this mean that it can’t be restored to S2 at a future time?

thanks

No, currently, you can switch/upgrade it to an S2 System at any point.

I recently added two One SL speakers to my “legacy” system consisting of 5 Play1’s, 2 Play5 (Gen1), 2 connects, and now 2 new boosts.  Ever since adding my two new One SL’s to my system, my music starts and stops, it cuts in and out on certain speakers.  I’ve spoke with c/s 6 times over the past two nights.  I’ve gotten 10 different versions as to what the problem might be but no one will even consider that it might be a compatibility issue.  I’m ready to return the two new One SL’s and look for two used Play 1’s online.  This is really frustrating.

I use both PLAY:1s and Sonos Ones (SL and regular) in the same system, and have experienced zero compatibility issues. I also have PLAY:3s, PLAY:5s (although no longer Gen 1), a pair of BOOSTs and Arcs, as well as a couple of Subs.

What you’re describing sounds a lot like some sort of local wifi interference. Although being a network, there are many other possibilities, including the small possibility of a duplicate IP address which can happen when either wired or not wired.

Since you’ve stated you have two BOOSTs, and not being a Sonos employee, I wouldn’t have any access to the diagnostics you’ve submitted, I’m assuming you’re using a wired (SonosNet) connection for your system. And I’m glad you’ve got the BOOST rather than the older BRIDGE, which is much older tech, and can have issues with the power supply, which can make tracking issues harder.

So, the first place I’d be looking is at the channels that both the Sonos and your regular wifi are using. Make sure your router isn’t set to ‘Auto’ for its channel selection. It can potentially ‘auto’ switch to a channel which will conflict with your SonosNet signal. 

Second, take note of what channel your SonosNet is set to. The only options are 1, 6 or 11. The reason for this is there is no overlap at all between these three channels. So your router should be set to one of those three, at a 20Mhz (if that’s an option, not 40Mhz width), and then the SonosNet channel should be on one of the other two channels, so the two radio frequencies don’t overlap.

Next, as explained in that FAQ I linked, I’d double check for other sources of potential interference. Which can come from pretty much anything electrical in your home, or even from outside your home. I’ve had cases where a microwave was going bad, and was leaking RF that blocked speakers that were ‘near’ it, and I’ve also had a new neighbor who set up their router on a channel I was already using. Any Sonos device, including the BOOST, should be at least three feet from a router, just because the way radio works at the point of generation. Not to mention things like other radio devices like baby monitors/cameras, video doorbells, and other similar devices.

It does trouble me that you’ve spoken to six representatives who weren’t able to help, based on a submitted diagnostic. Perhaps if you were to post some of those diagnostic numbers here, one of the forum moderators might be able to take a look and see if there is something jumping out to them. 

Sonos does tend to be more sensitive than many other network devices, due to the fact that they’re not single point devices, but instead constantly talk to each other on the network, in addition to reaching out for a music stream.

At the end of the day, Sonos is only as good as the network it sits on. There’s a good chance that we can help clean it up, but those of us in the community are somewhat hampered by not having direct access, either to the diagnostics, or your network.

I hope this is of some help.