Answered

Wifi Extenders/Boosters

• 9 March 2019
  • 5 replies

I am using different Sonos products throughout my house. I recently added Wifi extenders/boosters in order to improved overall Wifi performance. What I have found, however, is that when the device (e.g. phone) I'm using to run the Sonos App is accessing the signal from the extenders, it cannot find Sonos. Both of the extenders have the same SSID as my primary router. Is there something I need to do specifically with Sonos? I do not think it is an issue with my network or the extenders, as I can print documents to a printer on the network from anywhere in the house, regardless of what signal my device is accessing.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 10 March 2019, 09:29

You might find it less frustrating to just move your Sonos gear to Boost mode by wiring one of them to your primary router. If not possible then add a Boost to make that connection.
You still might have issues with your controllers seeing your Sonos if your WiFi setup puts them on different subnets.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What sort of "extenders/boosters"? Many of the mesh WiFi systems contain a secondary router in the primary node. In that case it would break the network in two, and if the Sonos system is connected to the main router a controller on the mesh WiFi won't find the players.

The options are either to put the mesh WiFi into 'bridge'/'access point' mode (but Google's is unable to do so), or to simply connect the Sonos system to the primary mesh node.
I have Seriud AC1200 WiFi Range Extenders. I understand what you are saying about breaking the network in two, but as I said, I don't see that with anything other than Sonos. For example, I can print from anywhere in my house. If it were breaking it in two, I don't think this would be possible.
See Seriud AC1200: How to set up AP/Router/Bridge Mode. From a cursory glance at the setup guide they appear to contain a router by default.

As for your printing, it could well go via the cloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You might find it less frustrating to just move your Sonos gear to Boost mode by wiring one of them to your primary router. If not possible then add a Boost to make that connection.
You still might have issues with your controllers seeing your Sonos if your WiFi setup puts them on different subnets.
This solved the problem. I did not have them set up as Bridge. Thank you very much!