Question

Wifi connection - Sonos move

• 27 November 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi

ive just purchased a Sonos move which lives in the kitchen. Issue I have is that there is a t-link EoP providing a WiFi signal in the bedroom directly above the kitchen which is (I’m guessing) connecting to the Sonos - the standard WiFi signal from the router is weak.

A) the app won’t work unless my iPhone connects via the T-link - ie if I’m in the ‘dead spot’ bedroom or switch off and on the phones WiFi in the kitchen.

B) the music will drop out, or Alexa struggles to connect / search (this is intermittent).

If I switch the t-link off it works fine (but clearly, not practical for the bedroom).

I don’t have any other Sonos product, and the move has no Ethernet port.

i have trawled the forums and have found that t-link EoP can be an issue and not recommended - clearly I can’t go for a hard wire work around.

any suggestions regarding how I fix this? What is the best WiFi booster I could try to replace the T-link WiFi? (I was thinking that I could keep the t-link in the  bedroom, but switch off the WiFi, hard wire in the pc, then boost the WiFi for that room via a WiFi booster I could put in the kitchen - I tried a BT booster but that didn’t ‘get through’ the ceiling/ into the bedroom .

i don’t believe the Move works on the Sonos mesh, so not sure that there is a ‘Sonos’ based solution.

First ever post, any advice welcomed - I’m no techie so layman’s speak if at all possible:-)

8 replies

ive just purchased a Sonos move which lives in the kitchen. Issue I have is that there is a t-link EoP providing a WiFi signal in the bedroom directly above the kitchen which is (I’m guessing) connecting to the Sonos - the standard WiFi signal from the router is weak.

I’m confused - is it a wireless extender or an EoP (Ethernet over Power) device?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

TP-Link do a combined unit too, just to complicate things!

Is the wireless extender on the same channel and SSID  as the main network? If not it may cause interference to the Sonos environment. 

TP-Link do a combined unit too, just to complicate things!

Is the wireless extender on the same channel and SSID  as the main network? If not it may cause interference to the Sonos environment. 

Sorry - the wifi extender / t link are one of the same, and yes its on the same SSID as the wifi router.

I’m confused - is it a wireless extender or an EoP (Ethernet over Power) device?

sorry - I should have been clearer. The EoP device in the bedroom is also provides wifi for that room. you can switch off the wifi option (by pressing the button on the front of EoP (receiver / device in the bedroom) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

And locked to the same channel?

And locked to the same channel?

Yes, I believe so. they are also both pushing out 2g

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Make sure your phone is on a 2.4GHz network; Sonos only recognises that, not the 5.0GHz frequency.

Make sure your phone is on a 2.4GHz network; Sonos only recognises that, not the 5.0GHz frequency.

Yes - i know that’s not the problem, its the T link. I need to find something that will stop the sonos connecting to the T-link (Wifi signal) coming from upstairs, and finding something that will replace the wifi for that bedroom.