Question

why streamed music (ie. AccuRadio) or radio stations (ie TunesIn) will not play with any of my sonos speakers?

• 23 July 2019
  • 8 replies

why streamed music (ie. AccuRadio) or radio stations (ie TunesIn) will not play with any of my sonos speakers?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Wayde V

If you have followed the instructions to properly add a music service to Sonos as shown in the link then there are two senarios:

1. The services are not offered in your part of the world
  2. If they are offered then I suggest you call Sonos (or contact via Twitter) to discuss your issue in real-time.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/adding-music-sources

Cheers!
to say these programs are not available in my part of the world, I beg to think the other as it all worked Saturday. It can also be used with my speakers that are directly hooked to the Yamaha receiver/amplifier, I can then add other sosons speakers into the with with the main (non-sonos & hooked to the amp) seems to wi\ork. I the main "non-sonos" are removed from the group - EVERYTHING no longer works.

I've have never had to set up speakers I have no plan to listen to, as I am in another part of the house - that won't even hear the other speakers. This entire system has created too many issues that are no longer working as it did when it was initially installed. It has turned into a unit that plays CD's and podcast's for me, that's it - nothing else works through Sonos, TV channels, streamed music channels that do not require monthly charges.

The ability to contact someone with a phone call seems to be just like the answer i received about my Sonos - "not offered" I really beg to differ, as it all ran 4 days ago, and me trying to get this to work has driven me mental. I didn't see any manuals to look up problems"trouble shooting".
to say these programs are not available in my part of the world, I beg to think the other as it all worked Saturday. It can also be used with my speakers that are directly hooked to the Yamaha receiver/amplifier, I can then add other sosons speakers into the with with the main (non-sonos & hooked to the amp) seems to wiork. I the main "non-sonos" are removed from the group - EVERYTHING no longer works.

I've have never had to set up speakers I have no plan to listen to, as I am in another part of the house - that won't even hear the other speakers. This entire system has created too many issues that are no longer working as it did when it was initially installed. It has turned into a unit that plays CD's and podcast's for me, that's it - nothing else works through Sonos, TV channels, streamed music channels that do not require monthly charges.

The ability to contact someone with a phone call seems to be just like the answer i received about my Sonos - "not offered" I really beg to differ, as it all ran 4 days ago, and me trying to get this to work has driven me mental. I didn't see any manuals to look up problems"trouble shooting".
Just as a note, Sonos doesn't restrict the streams. That's done by the companies that provide the streams. If their lawyers tell company A that they have to region restrict their stream, then it gets done. In my experience, usually without any notification to those outside the region it is restricted to.

But Sonos doesn't have a choice in that kind of thing. They don't insert themselves between the stream and you. They don't want to be the legally responsible party, it has to be the originating company. All they do is provide data to them as to where your account is registered to. That company may be filtering on that, or they make look at IP addresses, etc, but Sonos doesn't have any legal standing in that discussion.

But, that's water under the bridge. Your account with Sonos says you're in Canada, and while there may be some streams you're not able to access, it shouldn't be all of them.

Have you tried a simple refresh of your network? Just unplug your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. This will cause two things to occur. First, all of your Sonos devices will ask for new IP addresses from your refreshed router. Second, any changes in DNS information which may have been changed by your ISP, or further up the line, also gets refreshed on your Sonos devices. Both of these are good things, and may clear up your issue.

Since I'm not in Canada, I can't effectively test your particular stations to see if they really are geo-locked or not.

If that does not clear up your issues, I would certainly recommend that you abandon getting help from the community, and go directly to contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
@Wayde V

OK. You are in Canada I didn't view your profile until after I sent my reply. Nonetheless geo-locking by the service is still a possibility. I was going to suggest as did Airgetlam that you unplug your Sonos and reboot your router. However, I would also suggest it be done in the following manner:

1. Unplug your Sonos
  2. Unplug any other wired or wireless products
  3. Unplug any range extenders and leave them so
  4. Delete the streaming services in the Sonos app
  5. Delete the Sonos app
  6. Reboot your router (check its admin page for updates)
  7. Power cycle your device
  8. Check your device for updates
  9. Re-install the Sonos app
  10. Reinstall the streaming services in the Sonos app
  11. Plug in your Sonos 1 x1 and let each come back before proceeding to the next
  12. Test your Sonos
  13. If 12 above is OK...Plug in your other wired/wireless components
  14. Let us know how things sort out.
Cheers!
I've tried petty much everything you've mentioned. When I started with Sonos and had difficult, normally un-plugging everything and plug it all in, generally everything went back to normality....i give up
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Wayde V

OK...since you've tried everything suggested before by the numbers...right 🤔then you have one more alternative (excuse me if you've done this before)….call Sonos Tech support or contact them via Twitter.

However, in all honesty I doubt it is a Sonos issue as your original post leads me to believe that you can stream other services but not the one's you mentioned. Furthermore, checking the service status at the upper right on this page indicates that all streaming services are up and running.

In the end I believe it's going to point back to something on your network or somehow the account settings for the affected services have been altered. I highly, recommend checking your accounts for the affected streams. Good luck!

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sounds like a DNS problem to me.