Answered

Where to Start a General Discussion Thread?

• 22 January 2020
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Where can I start a thread to have an honest discussion with more seasoned users about the legacy product situation away from the hype and outrage of the announcement thread? All other forums seem to be product or support specific?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 January 2020, 03:11

What is wrong with where you started this one?

It is a community forum so there is no preventing others from contributing but it is as good as I have found.

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It is a community forum so there is no preventing others from contributing but it is as good as I have found.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’m happy to do it here if that is all that is available, but given that it was the place to ask a question, it didn’t feel right. However, makes sense, so I will start the thread shortly.

Your issue will keeping reasoned responses separate from those who are upset by this issue. You’ll have to evaluate each response on your own. Unfortunately, be prepared for vitriol, peppered by thoughtful responses, which normal for public forums ;)

Badge

... Meanwhile NOT ONE response worth reading yet.  Nothing to do with Legacy here  

Just you people explaining how a forum works...  

Good lord

Perhaps the OP can ask a specific question instead of a general discussion?

Userlevel 3

Well, one good reason not to start any Legacy hardware discussions here is that Sonos moderators will delete posts they don’t like from a thread.  Ask me how I know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well, one good reason not to start any Legacy hardware discussions here is that Sonos moderators will delete posts they don’t like from a thread.  Ask me how I know.

Hi, 2003Z3M. Sorry to interject, but that is simply not true. Due to the sheer amount of duplicate threads concerning the exact same issue, we’ve merged all responses into the main announcement. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi, 2003Z3M. Sorry to interject, but that is simply not true. Due to the sheer amount of duplicate threads concerning the exact same issue, we’ve merged all responses into the main announcement. 

I saw a moderator's note this morning about deleted posts in a thread due to content. 🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I saw a moderator's note this morning about deleted posts in a thread due to content. 🤷‍♀️

Apologies, I should have clarified. My previous response was written under the assumption that the post in question was in compliance with community guidelines.
If it was not, it will have been deleted with a message left as to why it was deleted. In which case, I would assume there would be no question as to why it was removed. 

Userlevel 3

Apologies, I should have clarified. My previous response was written under the assumption that the post in question was in compliance with community guidelines.
If it was not, it will have been deleted with a message left as to why it was deleted. In which case, I would assume there would be no question as to why it was removed. 

Hi Edward;

Nope, no message concerning why the post was deleted, but given the Legacy hardware debacle, I’m not surprised.  A few people asked about Sonos alternatives in the “End of Software Updates for Legacy Products” topic and I posted information about the open DTS Play-Fi wireless audio standard used by Klipsch, McIntosh, and many others; the post was subsequently “disappeared”.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It wasn't my post so don't know the content or how many posts. the mod note wasn't clear other than the responses weren't moved but deleted. I'm not taking the piss, just a point of order sir.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

... Meanwhile NOT ONE response worth reading yet.  Nothing to do with Legacy here  

Just you people explaining how a forum works...  

Good lord

...explaining how THIS forum works, which is exactly what I asked, so answered correctly. I haven’t started the discussion yet!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Well, if I do start the thread I have proposed, I certainly don’t want the kind of angry off-topic distractions that appear to have crept in here. Please go back and read the original topic heading, and if your post doesn’t answer or contribute to that, please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Well, if I do start the thread I have proposed, I certainly don’t want the kind of angry off-topic distractions that appear to have crept in here. Please go back and read the original topic heading, and if your post doesn’t answer or contribute to that, please refrain from posting. Thank you.

I’m afraid you aren’t going to find that.  People are angry, and the last thing they want to see is a rational discussion.  They want this place to burn, and that desire will drown out anything resembling rational. Too bad, really.

Frankly, it seems like the reasonable folk will respond to this thread, so you could ask here...with the knowledge that you’ll likely have to filter out some of the noise. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Please go back and read the original topic heading, and if your post doesn’t answer or contribute to that, please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Stanley already answered your original question. 

But here is a suggestion, ask a member in this thread if they would dialogue with you by private message.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Please go back and read the original topic heading, and if your post doesn’t answer or contribute to that, please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Stanley already answered your original question. 

But here is a suggestion, ask a member in this thread if they would dialogue with you by private message.

I know that, hence why I marked it as the best answer yesterday. I’m not after specific information. I am, however, as very seasoned user who is heavily invested in the ecosystem, and I’m after rational discussion of options, alternatives and the future with other seasoned and invested users, away from the outrage and anger, so that I can ultimately make some decisions. This is not that thread, it was the thread to find out how this particular community deals with threads like that.

It is indeed unfortunate that any public forum prevents that which your looking for, by the very fact that they are public. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Some forum software offers great tools to clear the clutter. Things like marking users to be ignored are really basic while others offer a reputation system that allows users with good content to be seen in full and posters that are mostly noise to be shown as just the poster’s name and post title.

One of the finest I’ve used is the Ubiquity forums. (Hint for Sonos forum folks, if not switching at least steal some features)